Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 strange bullet patterns on target >

strange bullet patterns on target

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

strange bullet patterns on target

Old 11-18-2003, 07:29 AM

Default strange bullet patterns on target

I posted this same question over on the " GUN" section, but then I thought it was better suited here.

I have a Savage model 110, .243 Win, synthetic stock, 4-12x42mm scope.

It doesn' t matter which bullet weight that I use, either 80 ggrain bullet or the 100' s.

When shooting at 100 yards, off of sandbags, the second bullet strikes about 1/2" up to left of the first, and the third bullet strikes up to the left of the second. Both bullet weights, every time, same exact way. The barrel is free floating, before and after each shot, it isn' t warping into the forearm. (I' m checking this by put a dollar bill between barrel and forearm to see if it catches) Each three shot group is fired about 20 seconds between each shot. Then I let the barrel cool for about 5 minutes between groups.

What do think is causing this?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: strange bullet patterns on target

This sounds like your barrel may be warping as it heats, since, being free-floating, it is not " bouncing off" the wood of the forend upon firing. This implies that the bore is slightly off-center, so when the bore steel expands from heating, the muzzle is pointed slightly off the line it was on when the shot was fired. To test this, try waiting five minutes between each shot. If you fire five shots in a row with 20 seconds between them, does this walking continue?

Your barrel might be O.K., and just need dampening by some upward pressure in the tip of the forend. Try putting a thickness or two of a business card under the barrel at the forend tip to give you between 10-20 pounds of upward pressure, and see if this helps.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 AM

Thanks eldeguello,
I' ll try the buisness card trick, and yes, the walking continues if I shoot five shots.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Take the rifle to a compotent gunsmith and have the action bedded. Also, make sure the stock screws are tight. If bedding doesn' t work I would try the business card trick. If it works you can also have the gunsmith bed the end of the forearm for a permanent pressure point.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let us know what the problem turns out to be!
Old 11-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the rifle to a compotent gunsmith and have the action bedded. Also, make sure the stock screws are tight. If bedding doesn' t work I would try the business card trick. If it works you can also have the gunsmith bed the end of the forearm for a permanent pressure point
Why would you spend $$ when you can try shimming the barrel first which costs nothing?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:09 PM

Have you contacted Savage yet? If the barrel is truly defective, they will probably replace it. I believe that Savage makes their own barrels and takes quite a bit of pride in their quality given their price. It would be worth a phone call.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:53 AM

I don' t believe that the barrel is defective. I am getting three shot groups of 1" . I just find it strange that the POI patterns are always exactly the same. 2nd shot is always 1/2" to the upper left of first shot, and third shot is always 1/2" to upper left of the second.
This happens with 80 grain bullets and 100 grain bullets.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:30 AM

Maine,
If you are getting 1" groups for 3 shot groups without letting the barrel cool between shots, with two different bullet weights you have a great shooting rifle. Leave it alone.

As another posted if you are just curious about the consistency of the groups try letting it completely cool between shots and see if it still groups the same. But regardless my advice is to leave the rifle alone, if you start fussing around with it your groups may head the other direction.

Free floated barrels are the way to go if you can get good groups, they will give you consistent accuracy.
Pressure points will sometimes give you a better group under certain conditions but when the conditions change so can your groups move around on you.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:02 PM

Noway,
Thanks for the advice, it all souunds good. I just wondered if anybody else ever had this happen. I am very happy with this rifle, especially since it only cost 300 bucks, new!

I am going to try putting pressure under the barrel at the forearm tip. All I have to lose is the time and three shots or so. You never know, it might cause the rifle to shoot one ragged hole (I wish) One trick that I' d like to try is one with hot glue. A gunsmith told me about it. Instead of stuffing paper between barrel and stock, he said that hot glue works well, because it fills the area perfectly. Any extra glue just oozes out and can be trimmed away with razor blade. If it doesn' t help, then just peel the glue out, causes no harm.