Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

270 and h4831

Old 03-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Spike

Default 270 and h4831

Guys I'm trying to find a load for the 270 win, I'm using 130 grain hornady sst and h4831, it's my first time loading them, the bullet heads have cannelures so I've set the seating depth around this as a guide but the bullets are still a compressed load even going with 56gr of powder. Does anybody have any loads for this calibre powder and bullet that isn't a compressed load? And does anyone have quickload that could help me out? Thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

I'll look at my load data when I get home I haven't shot 130's in a long time. What twist is your rifle? I load off the lands now, but I am fairly certain my older stuff is to factory spec. I would still work up to these loads as powders change by lot.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Set your seating depth based on the lands and magazine and forget about the cannelure. Very likely you're going to be at or near a compressed load with that combo regardless of what you do. If you work up and find an accurate load that gives the speed you seek, I wouldn't worry about whether it was compressed or not.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:49 AM
Spike

Hi mate that would be good. I don't know the twist rate of the rifle yet it's a sako a3, I've not got a depth guage so can't get the measurement off the lands so dont know how far out I can seat the bullets I was just going to start in between Sammi spec min and max
Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

take a ramrod with a flat jag on it, run it down the barrel with the bolt closed and cocked, when it touches the boltface put a mark on your ramrod. Now take a bullet of choice, put it in the chamber, use the eraser end of a pencil to hold it against the lands, put your rod down the barrel while holding the bullet in place, you will feel the rod touch the bullet tip. put another mark on the rod. measure between the marks, there is you Max COL for that bullet. and why you worried about compressed loads? about all loads with those slow powders in that family of cases will be compressed.
RR
Old 03-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

There's no way 56 grains of H4831 is compressed on 130gr bullet. I'm shooting 56gr of H4831 using a 170gr Berger and I know that 170gr seats a lot further into the neck than 130 gr. I have the bullet almost touching powder but if you shake it you can hear it have enough space for say 57 grains maybe a tad compressed on 58 grains probably not 58 but just throwing that out there. If your touching power with at 130gr bullet at 56gr you probably have serious bullet jump.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 AM
Spike

Ridge runner thanks for that I'll give it a try, I just didn't fancy shooting them being compressed, I'm not a target shooter only a hunter and fire hundreds of rounds a year so just trying to save a bit and get a good accurate round not push things to the limit, just now I use rws 130grain factory rounds and there's plenty case room and the bullets are very accurate so just didn't understand why the case needed to be packed with 4831, just want to find a nice load see how it performs and stick to it safely.

Blackelk I'll load another one up tomorrow and see but I couldn't hear any movement in the case when I done it I think the bullet was seated at 3.240
Old 03-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

My fav .270 Win load is 54 gr of IMR4350 under a Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip. That load was the most accurate in my rifle and in a couple others too.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:40 AM
Spike

Thanks Bronko I've been looking at the nosler hunting bt the shop didn't have them in stock and they are double the price of the ssts also thought about the 110 vmax I think I'll try these next but still have around 65 ssts so I'd like to use these up rather than waste them. I have the nosler bt for the 22250 to load up next just need cases
Old 03-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Spike

I loaded up some rounds today black elk your right there was a little movement inside the case I loaded up loads with 56 gr, 56.5, 57 with col of 3.240 there was 0.004 difference between the batch of rounds is this normal?acceptable? I also made 3 rounds up at 3.220 Does anyone see there being a problem with starting at this length or any of these lengths starting?

While I was putting primers in with the rcbs hand prime it looked like the primers were a little squint but I couldn't tell if they definetly were or not although bullet seat looks to be a little higher on 1 side than the other.

I got the rifle and made sure the rounds chambered first with an empty round with bullet seated, 2 of the rounds wouldn't allow me to close the bolt so I pulled the bullet pushed the primer in again with the hand prime and no matter what I done it wouldn't allow me to close the bold on 2 cases which had me puzzled does anyone know what could be going on? The cases and heads were also getting marked a bit with lines the length of the case....is it normal for brass to make easier once it's been sized and tumbled?

Last edited by Lakies; 03-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.