Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Pistol Brass

Old 05-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Spike

I only sort pistol brass if there are particular brands that cause problems in the reloading process. For example there are some 45ACP cases with thinner case mouths that hold bullets poorly unless I use an undersized sizing die (mostly nickle cases from factory target loads, usually Remington). Similarly some 9mm brass has thicker cases at the case mouth the require a bit more case moth flare (PMC and military).
And the recent appearance of some Federal 45 ACP with small primer pockets. I also found a batch of Speer 357SIG with undersized flash holes.
Since I don't do formal bulls-eye/Olympic grade competition, there is no real need for n-th degree precision (except perhaps to assuage one's OCD). The variances of the biological portion of the shooting paradigm far outweigh the mechanical. In other words, people are just so darn sloppy and imprecise, that , "in on-your-hind-legs" handgun shooting, the nuances of reloading technique are of no importance as long as the gun operates properly.