Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading start up >

Reloading start up

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading start up

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default Reloading start up

I have been hunting with a browning Abolt .270 for about 17 years and have only shot factory ammo. In the past, I was not as critical about accuracy because 90% of my shots are less than 150 yards. I do however hunt some fields and plots where long shots could be 300-500 yards. I am not a great shot, but would like to practice enough to get proficient to 400.

Ammo is expensive. How much does it cost to start reloading? Will reloading allow me to shoot more and cheaper?
How much do you think the .277 can be improved performance and accuracy wise to factory ammo.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can reload 270 rounds for about one half of the cost of factory ammunition. A very good starter kit (RCBS) runs a little over $300. if you save $10 per box of 20 rounds you should break even at around 30 boxes.

On some of the larger rounds you can reload for about one third of factory cost.

For deer size game at your normal ranges you will not see much difference, but for precision shooting reloading is the only way to go.

You can change many of the characteristics of your ammunition by reloading. Reduced recoil loads, accuracy loads, heavy or light bullet loads, or loading premium bullets are just a few of the choices. I enjoy the hobby.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reloading offers several advantages. The two best for a hunter is (1) is the larger selection of bullet choices in terms of weight and design and (2) the ability to shoot more for your money.

Most talk about getting pinpoint accuracy out of reloading which is good, but few speak of how much more trigger time you can get when you reload ammo. Good shooting form in varied shooting positions will improve groups.

For 400 yard shoots reloading can make a difference. For instance factory Hornady 7mm-08 139 grain Interlock SP ammo will keyhole at 400 yards in my rifle. I can reload the same bullet and keep it from tumbling.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, with an accurate rifle 400 is easy
can you shoot more and cheaper, that's a moot point, what your wanting to do is cut costs so you can shoot enough to become proficient, you will not save money unless you figure it per shot, but you will always have ammo and your shooting will improve.
can you improve the performance of a 270? well you can tailor a load to suit your rifle and it will shoot better. I haven't bought a factory centerfire round since 1981 with the exception of 223, that's cause I own 5 of them and won't take time to reload for 2 AR's and a mini-14.
RR
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quoting myself here since I posted this very recently on another thread for how much it'd cost to get started reloading. It doesn't save money unless you're shooting high cost rounds, or high volumes. It DOES give you control over your load.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Minimal kit for reloading:

Case Prep:
  • Case length gauge Lee gauge = $7, but these SUCK if you're doing much volume (need parts from Lee Anniversary kit below)
  • Chamfer & deburr tool: Take your pick = $10
  • Primer pocket cleaner: Take your pick = $5-10
  • Tumbler & Media: Lyman 1200 = $60, media = $15-30
  • Case Neck Brush: Take your pick = ~$10 in with brush and handle
  • Case Lube Pad: Take your pick = $10

Reloading:
  • Press Kit: Lee Anniversary kit = $130, has a press, a safety scale, a press mount primer, a and a hand case trimmer and lock stud. The powder thrower in the kit sucks, but will work to throw ~80-90% of your charge, then trickle in the rest. The scale/balance is super slow, but keeps you safe.
  • Set of dies: Lee Pace-Setter 3 die set = $30 for standard cartridges like 30-06
  • Trickler: Take your pick = $15-20

Miscellaneous tools:
  • Calipers: Cheap yet functional set = $20
  • Cartridge trays: Want at least two, take your pick $5-10 each = $20
  • Bullet Puller: Hammer style or press mounted = ~$15-20

Components:
  • Bullets: 20-35cents a piece = $30 for the first 100
  • Brass: 50-75cents a piece = $60 for the first 100
  • Primers: ~3cents a piece = $35 for the first 1,000
  • Powder: ~24cents per shot = $28 for the first ~100-125rnds (H4895, loading 50-55grn each)

Saving money via reloading only works out if you're shooting high volume or shooting non-standard cartridges or wildcats where you might have $5 per shot in factory ammo instead of $1. If you want to reload for the fun of it, fine, if you want to reload for the accuracy, fine, but don't be mistaken that you're going to save any money reloading your deer hunting ammo.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I am very interested but time is also a big constraint as well. I look to reload in the future but may have to be delayed. I wish I would have started when I was single.

I have heard you can shoot accubonds and ballistic tips interchangeably with same weight and bc. This could be beneficial using accubonds where shot distance is closer and ballistic tips where farther shots are more likely. The accubond would be more reliable at high impact velocities like close shots in woods and the ballistic tip may expand better at lower velocities past 300 yards. I guess the same could be done with interbonds and sst. Partitions would be great at most velocities.

Currently using factory hornady interlocks. I have also used core locks, winchester power points, sierra gamekings, and ballistic tips. All work fine I was just looking for the ideal bullet for all situations in one rifle.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading Start Up

There are advantages; there are disadvantages.

As Big Uncle points out there are start up costs, before you begin to start saving money. In his example, there is the equipment needed to manufacture or reload the cases. There is the cost of primers, bullets and cases (if you haven't saved the fired cases) ; costs that are needed before you save a dime.

As Big Uncle notes it will take approximately 30 cases of finished ammo, to break even on your initial costs. The question I'd ask is how fast you will use 30 cases at a range over how much time. Good to get an idea before the costs turn into real loaded cartridges.

With reloading you start two hobbies. One is more time at a firing range. The second is the manufacturing hobby of reloading. The latter might not appeal to everyone. And the third thing is time. Time to spend more time at the range and time to do the actual reloading.
Another factor is the availability of primers, bullets and cases. From time to time there has been a shortage of these items. Without primers, the reloading equipment sits unused.

Reloading is a nice hobby for some. It's good for many; good hobby for me over the years.
And every one doesn't need a special room just for reloading. There are portable benches that can be stored in sheds and garages. Equipment can be stored in large "tool boxes" available at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Used many times, a quiet bedroom or living room to set up my reloading equipment for a few hours of reloading.
Good luck to all considering reloading. And you might want to check on the availability of primers, bullets and cases before making a current decision.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-28-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I do all My reloading on really cold winter days.
I bought a Lyman challenger press still in the box at a yard sale a couple years ago for 15 dollars. there were a bunch of other reloading stuff out for sale at that yard sale I didn't need or want. I figure if a person would have bought every thing they would only have had about 150.00 max invested in equipment.
I have also been to estate sales and seem reloading equipment sell for really low prices.
Many times if a reloaders dies the family has no idea what all that crap is worth like my family. Lots of time they just want to clean the stuff out so they can sell the house the big money ticket so do not do research on the resale cost of stuff.

Nothing like the felling of harvesting game with rounds you built and tested. Not to mention the satisfaction of knowing the trajectory of a bullet you custom built.

Al
Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some really good points have been made but one of the most important pieces of equipment has gone without being mentioned: a notebook. And while I am thinking about it a filing system for your targets. When you become a reloader you will be making lots of notes and saving targets for comparison purposes.

Good luck with your decision. If you do take the plunge you may find reloading is rewarding and a lot of fun.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

That is part of what the note section in reloading manuals is for and a spread sheet on the computer is nice too.

I like pictures of the targets way easier to store on a flash drive.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-31-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.