HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reloading start up
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 AM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading Start Up

There are advantages; there are disadvantages.

As Big Uncle points out there are start up costs, before you begin to start saving money. In his example, there is the equipment needed to manufacture or reload the cases. There is the cost of primers, bullets and cases (if you haven't saved the fired cases) ; costs that are needed before you save a dime.

As Big Uncle notes it will take approximately 30 cases of finished ammo, to break even on your initial costs. The question I'd ask is how fast you will use 30 cases at a range over how much time. Good to get an idea before the costs turn into real loaded cartridges.

With reloading you start two hobbies. One is more time at a firing range. The second is the manufacturing hobby of reloading. The latter might not appeal to everyone. And the third thing is time. Time to spend more time at the range and time to do the actual reloading.
Another factor is the availability of primers, bullets and cases. From time to time there has been a shortage of these items. Without primers, the reloading equipment sits unused.

Reloading is a nice hobby for some. It's good for many; good hobby for me over the years.
And every one doesn't need a special room just for reloading. There are portable benches that can be stored in sheds and garages. Equipment can be stored in large "tool boxes" available at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Used many times, a quiet bedroom or living room to set up my reloading equipment for a few hours of reloading.
Good luck to all considering reloading. And you might want to check on the availability of primers, bullets and cases before making a current decision.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-28-2015 at 02:53 AM.