Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

9.3x62 Mauser

Old 11-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 9.3x62 Mauser

Is anybody besides me playing with a 9.3x62 Mauser? My wife got me one a few years ago and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite rounds. I've been playing with handloads and haven't really found a 286 gr bullet that it doesn't like. Noslers, Hornadys, Woodleighs, Barnes etc... all seem to group well. The Noslers group the best but not by enough of a margin to make much difference. I'm going to try some 320 gr bullets in the near future.

For many years I shot a 375 H&H Mag but I'm leaning a lot more towards the 9.3mm these days. My rifle is a CZ Model 550 American that came with a pretty good factory set trigger and it holds 5 rounds. The round has been popular in Europe and Africa for decades but you don't see too many of them in the field in the USA and that is a shame because it really is a great round. Brass and bullets are easy to come by too.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not at all familiar with that round Flags! Since you mentioned it along with the 375 H&H, would you use it for dangerous game, just bigger game like elk and moose, or what?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flags check your PM's
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not at all familiar with that round Flags! Since you mentioned it along with the 375 H&H, would you use it for dangerous game, just bigger game like elk and moose, or what?
I'd have no problem using it for everything on the planet. It was used pretty extensively in Africa even for the big stuff. However, in some areas it isn't legal for the big 5 because many areas use .375 H&H as the minimum. But it would definitely do the job. For North America it is great for moose/elk/big bears etc...

Truly a great round that has been in use for well over 100 years but most Americans don't know much about it which is a shame.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used one before but only with the 286 grain bullet. It worked well within it's limitations. I believe that will always be a popular cartridge in areas of the world with a German history. It is a good compromise for someone that only has one rifle and larger game may be in the area.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags

Truly a great round that has been in use for well over 100 years but most Americans don't know much about it which is a shame.

Yep flags - I agree!

Rebarreled a VZ-24 Mauser to 9.3x62 and its become one of my favorite rifles. I used the 285 PP bullets to save $$.$$ working up reloads. Afterwards, just switched to the 286 NPTs and have just stayed right there.

I've shot both hogs and deer with it. Its the only 100% DRT rifle I've ever used. It doesn't produce the Bang-Flops like my 270. But they don't run anywhere - It just knocks'em over and they don't get up. That 286 NPT goes straight thru from any angle producing a bullet size entry hole and a 1.5" exit hole.

PS: I still have a box of 300 Swift A-frames that I probably wont ever need. PM me if you are interested in trying them.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 AM
Spike

I am going to look this round up. / rifle.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by newcomb
I am going to look this round up. / rifle.
It might be a bit of an over-simplification but you might think of a 9.3x62 as the German version of the 35 Whelen. It uses a slightly heavier bullet than the Whelen but the case capacity is very similar. It is an efficient cartridge that can be chambered in a smaller action (less expensive) than marginally more powerful cartridges such as the .375 H&H and it is often used in rifles with fairly short barrels (commonly around 20").

It was used by many German settlers in the German countries of Africa as their do-it-all rifle. You see it used a lot in countries like Namibia where shots are not long and most of the non-indigenous people are of German ancestry. It is very popular with European hunters and folks that want substantial power but are not fans of heavier recoil.

I borrowed one on a hunt in Namibia once. It is not a long range cartridge but where I used it the shots were fairly short and the brush was thick (with many thorns). It was OK.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. Very much.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

That 9.3X62 is a new topic.

Long ago I got a .358 Win and more and a .375HH in case I went to Africa. Now I find out about that 9.3.

Brought up again to sell a few more guns is the old 280 Rem. Now we find out there was a metric version all along!

7X64mm Brenneke

So I have the 358's and sold one of the 375's.

It's all just for the fun of it.

Last edited by Savage_99; 02-22-2015 at 08:27 PM.