Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

6.8 Ammo

Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default 6.8 Ammo

I just ordered a 6.8 upper from Bison Armory. It has a 1:11 twist. What would be good bullet type/grain to start with? Main targets will be hogs and deer with average shot of around 100. My brother uses 110 TSX and now trying accubonds.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

with a muzzle velocity of around 2500 fps, about any cup/core bullet will work fine. I wouldn't go to the expense of premium bullets to get poorer performance.
RR
Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

110 TSX will be fine then?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoot a regular soft point, may not exit on bone hits but will expand more and deliver more energy on soft tissue hits (lung shots), I'd even try a 110 gr hornady hollow point, I used them for years in a 270 for deer hunting.
RR
Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll make the leap to expand a bit on Ridge's comment about the meager velocity of the 6.8 and how that relates to standard cup & core vs. premium bullets...

Most of the 'established' .277" premium bullets on the market were designed around the muzzle velocity of a .270win, considerably faster than the 6.8 can manage, and as such, these bullets are a bit too "hard" to reliably expand at 6.8 speeds.

Additionally, the relatively low ballistic coefficient of the short and squat 6.8 SPC bullets is a factor that really inhibits it for long-range performance. "Long range" for a 6.8spc is really anything over 350-500yrds, as it will start dropping off rather quickly at this range. Part of the advantage of premium bullets is that they often give you flexibility for range, as they're designed to perform across a broader velocity spectrum, whether they hit at full speed at 50yrds, or are nearly sub-sonic at impact at 1,000yrds. But you're not shooting that far with the 6.8spc.

So... In a nutshell, you're talking about a relatively slow cartridge that fires a bullet with relatively poor aerodynamics - it's really just not much of a long range proposition, which means that the range of velocities that it might have to perform across is rather narrow. Any cup & core bullet that your rifle likes should fly well for 400yrds, and should expand just fine between 1800-2500fps.

Now, there ARE 0.277" bullets that are specifically designed for the 6.8spc. For example, there's a 95grn TTSX that's listed as a "6.8," then a 110grn TTSX that's listed as a ".270". The sectional density is much higher for the 270 version, producing a better BC as well, which gives you an indication that they're designed for different impact velocities. Hornady also makes 6.8spc specific bullets, which they indicate by ".270-6.8" in the model description.

Is that to say that a premium bullet that's a bit too hard for the 6.8 won't kill stuff? Nope. Just that you're paying a premium to get less-than-ideal performance by mis-applying the bullets, and that there are better suited bullets out there.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

I never really thought about that RR and Nomercy. I did notice that there were 6.8 bullets though. I can understand what your meaning though about the differences and glad you brought it up. I may rethink and try the 95TTSX.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I'll make the leap to expand a bit on Ridge's comment about the meager velocity of the 6.8 and how that relates to standard cup & core vs. premium bullets...

Most of the 'established' .277" premium bullets on the market were designed around the muzzle velocity of a .270win, considerably faster than the 6.8 can manage, and as such, these bullets are a bit too "hard" to reliably expand at 6.8 speeds.

Additionally, the relatively low ballistic coefficient of the short and squat 6.8 SPC bullets is a factor that really inhibits it for long-range performance. "Long range" for a 6.8spc is really anything over 350-500yrds, as it will start dropping off rather quickly at this range. Part of the advantage of premium bullets is that they often give you flexibility for range, as they're designed to perform across a broader velocity spectrum, whether they hit at full speed at 50yrds, or are nearly sub-sonic at impact at 1,000yrds. But you're not shooting that far with the 6.8spc.

So... In a nutshell, you're talking about a relatively slow cartridge that fires a bullet with relatively poor aerodynamics - it's really just not much of a long range proposition, which means that the range of velocities that it might have to perform across is rather narrow. Any cup & core bullet that your rifle likes should fly well for 400yrds, and should expand just fine between 1800-2500fps.

Now, there ARE 0.277" bullets that are specifically designed for the 6.8spc. For example, there's a 95grn TTSX that's listed as a "6.8," then a 110grn TTSX that's listed as a ".270". The sectional density is much higher for the 270 version, producing a better BC as well, which gives you an indication that they're designed for different impact velocities. Hornady also makes 6.8spc specific bullets, which they indicate by ".270-6.8" in the model description.

Is that to say that a premium bullet that's a bit too hard for the 6.8 won't kill stuff? Nope. Just that you're paying a premium to get less-than-ideal performance by mis-applying the bullets, and that there are better suited bullets out there.
He's the man! wish I could convey info via the keyboard as well as he does
RR
Old 02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
He's the man! wish I could convey info via the keyboard as well as he does
RR
Well I've never been accused of being a man of few words!

I hope not to step on any toes by trying to add to certain posts sometimes, but I'm a guy that learns best by understanding the "why" behind the "what" when folks make certain recommendations. When Ridge made that first post, I knew WHY he was making that recommendation, but it seemed like the importance of it was somewhat missed. It's easy for a guy like Ridge - for whom understanding the nuances of bullet design and impact velocity implications is akin to breathing or taking a leak - to take for granted that less experienced folks might not connect the dots as easily. Seems these days that a lot of us online have become teflon coated after reading a lot of info from folks that say a lot of things whether they really know it to be true or not, and it can be hard to get good info to stick. I like to think that if a person understands WHAT happens and WHY it happens, maybe they'll be less apt to pass it over.

I suppose I'll take the opportunity to admit that the 6.8SPC is kinda a guilty pleasure for me. She's kind of a lack-luster round, with not a lot going for it compared to other rounds on the market, but I just enjoy shooting it, and I'm glad to have one back in my safe.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

I mean location is pretty key for this round? I'm shooting no more than a 100 yards in the state of Florida. I would think this round is very capable and can cleanly handle the Florida Whitetail along with the little piggies in the swamp? I guess I made a mistake on original post. 100 yards is the furthest.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Placement is key for any round. A bullet in the tail isn't as effective as a bullet in the heart.

The 6.8SPC will handle any deer walking within 100yrds, and many further than that. She might not have enough punch to reliably crush through both shoulders, but it'd be wasting a lot of good meat doing that with a cartridge that could. She might not be a 1,000yrd cartridge either, but not many folks have business shooting deer that far anyway.

Not sure how big your florida whitetails will run, but I've thrown them into 200lb+ Kansas whitetails out past 100yrds and haven't had argument yet.

BUT... having a bullet that's designed to expand at the velocities you're throwing it does make a difference in how reliably they'll perform for you. If a bullet's designed to open at 2500-3000fps, it'll fail to expand properly at 1800fps, and you might be tracking a deer that a proper bullet might have dropped a lot faster. Dead either way if you run it through the heart and lungs, but dead a mile from where you shot it is very different than dead where you shot it.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-07-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.