Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Sierra Gameking bullets >

Sierra Gameking bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra Gameking bullets

Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I've only shot one whitetail @ a little over 60yds w/ a 243 and a 100g SGK. Didn't recover the bullet, results were about a 40yd death run and one dead deer.
Now ive read more than a few times where folks seem to feel that the pro-hunter is a tougher bullet than the gameking........any thoughts on that?
The Pro Hunter tends to hold together better because of the flat based design from what I have seen. Both are great but I have seen more jackets shed with the boatailed Gameking.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Spike

The 160 grain Gameking pushed to 2600 fps was a favorite in my 7x57. However that velocity seemed to give good bullet performance with just about any bullet.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 AM
Spike

I have shot game with GameKings in 224, 243, 264, 284,308, 358 and 375 At impact velocities from 2000 to 2900 they have been perfect. Like all lead-cored bullets they leave a trail of small fragments in the wound channel, but clearly keep over 40% of their weight. Bone may make them lose a jacket here or there, but I've never had a critter go more than 100yds. A much underrated GameKing is the .308 165 gr hollow point (not the MatchKing), which appears to be tougher than it's soft point sibling; wound channels (at impact velocities up to 2900 fps) are comparable to a Nosler partition. It is not a sexy looking bullet, but I have always been happy with it's performance and have been loading it to a MV of 2680 fps in my wife's 308 for over 35 years.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've been shooting Speer 165gr BTSP out of a 300 wm with the velocity going 3260fps for over 20 years and they have never shed a jacket yet. Granted that's on the few that I have collected at close range, most of them are exiting with a nickel to quarter size hole. At longer ranges I personally feel it is a perfect bullet for opening and creating the THUMP. The speer is similiar to the sierra in design so I say lead is still the way to go.