Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading. >

Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading.

(1. a Manual, will provide step by step how to do it, plus look at the bullets and powders for what you are trying to do.

(2. A press, a simple O press is about as strong as they get and they can also insert the primers into the case.

(3. a scale, a simple balance beam is the way to go if you are trying to keep cost down.

(4. Dies for the caliber you want to load for some times several a rifle and a pistol set.

(5. Powder and bullet, read the manuals and get an Idea what will work together to do what you want done.

Usually you can get away with reloading a once fired case with out any problems on case size but a case size gauge is nice to have.

A funnel can be made with a stiff piece of paper but a proper RELOADING funnel is much better. Another nice thing to have is a camphor reamer tool to remove burs from the case mouth after filing to size.

A case trimmer tool will take the job of shorting case sizes and make it a quick do instead of filing each case by hand. With this foster model you can change the mandrel insert size to the caliber case you want to trim. 22. 243, 7mm 30 cal.

A pocket primer brush will make the pockets nice and clean. I just buy the little brushes now and chuck them into a 3/8 electric drill and set the trigger after I put in a stand I made to make short work of the job.

Another tool not really needed but is handy to make primer pockets uniform is the reamer.

If I could do a do over this is one of the first tools I bought even before the powder measure drop. Makes loading a couple hundred primers a small task.

This case neck luber tub is also a great little took that isn't really needed.

A powder drop and a powder trickler is also very nice to have and help get that load right on the dot every time.

Also for loading a few rounds every year a tumbler isn't really needed But when you start doing several hundred rounds a device is nice to have. Keep your eyes open and maybe you will find a small rock tumbler some one is getting rid of.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-05-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

A case trimmer tool will take the job of shorting case sizes and make it a quick do instead of filing each case by hand. With this foster model you can change the mandrel insert size to the caliber case you want to trim. 22. 243, 7mm 30 cal.

Al
I have this same model of Forster case trimmer that I've used for many years. I also have mine mounted on a board like yours, so I can clamp it on my bench, then quickly remove it when I don't need it, but...

I've always mounted mine on the top of my bench (with the trimmer above the board) but that way, all of the brass trimmings accumulate on the trimmer and board, which periodically have to be cleaned off. I can see that your method of mounting the trimmer under the bench, and maybe over a trash can, would allow the brass trimmings to fall directly into the trash can, and not accumulate on the trimmer. A great time saving idea.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Forster is mounted to a "ROCKDock", one of the handiest additions to my bench. I've got all my presses and tools mounted to plates. Swapping them out takes all of sliding the installed tool out, stowing it, and sliding the new tool in. No clamps involved.

http://patmarlins.com/
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a trimmer and an electric "prep station" mounted sideways against the wall so that crud falls into a small basket and I can still see from different angles.

I tried mounting to a shelf bottom but kept dropping unintended stuff and could not see as well or get my hands where I wanted them due to having to deal with both the shelf and the adjacent wall.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well I really have the Foster trimmer mounted to the board so I can C clamp it to the bench top. I just quickly picked it off the storage shelf and set on the seat of the bench so I could get a picture with all the mess that is on the bench top at this time.
I have a small 1HP shop vac with a hose clamped close enough it sucks the shavings up and saves having to try and get them out of the carpet. It also sucks up the primers from the press when I am decapping cases.

All that stuff makes great fill for cases you are going to scrap out. pour it in and crimp mouth with some pliers.

I should clean the bench off and show the PVC rail on 3 sides of the bench. I reload shot shells too and have spills. I can sweep the shot and or powder into the PCV gutter with a can under the down spout to catch the stuff I spilled.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 05-11-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a small 1HP shop vac with a hose clamped close enough it sucks the shavings up and saves having to try and get them out of the carpet. It also sucks up the primers from the press when I am decapping cases.
+1 for all the same reasons. Got mine at Home Depot - very handy since I do not need a full size vac.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alleyyooper.. Lookin' at that Forster upside down gave me a crick in the neck.... (Grin..)

Last edited by Pawildman; 03-15-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Sorry for the creek in the neck. I will try to get a new proper picture some time this week and repost the picture of the trimmer.
I dislike creeks in the neck too.

Al
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Is this better?

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhhh.... That feels MUCH better.. Thanks..