HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading.
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking Cheapstart to rifle/pistol reloading.

(1. a Manual, will provide step by step how to do it, plus look at the bullets and powders for what you are trying to do.

(2. A press, a simple O press is about as strong as they get and they can also insert the primers into the case.

(3. a scale, a simple balance beam is the way to go if you are trying to keep cost down.

(4. Dies for the caliber you want to load for some times several a rifle and a pistol set.

(5. Powder and bullet, read the manuals and get an Idea what will work together to do what you want done.

Usually you can get away with reloading a once fired case with out any problems on case size but a case size gauge is nice to have.

A funnel can be made with a stiff piece of paper but a proper RELOADING funnel is much better. Another nice thing to have is a camphor reamer tool to remove burs from the case mouth after filing to size.

A case trimmer tool will take the job of shorting case sizes and make it a quick do instead of filing each case by hand. With this foster model you can change the mandrel insert size to the caliber case you want to trim. 22. 243, 7mm 30 cal.

A pocket primer brush will make the pockets nice and clean. I just buy the little brushes now and chuck them into a 3/8 electric drill and set the trigger after I put in a stand I made to make short work of the job.

Another tool not really needed but is handy to make primer pockets uniform is the reamer.

If I could do a do over this is one of the first tools I bought even before the powder measure drop. Makes loading a couple hundred primers a small task.

This case neck luber tub is also a great little took that isn't really needed.

A powder drop and a powder trickler is also very nice to have and help get that load right on the dot every time.

Also for loading a few rounds every year a tumbler isn't really needed But when you start doing several hundred rounds a device is nice to have. Keep your eyes open and maybe you will find a small rock tumbler some one is getting rid of.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-05-2015 at 10:05 AM.