Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Extreme powders vs. ??? >

Extreme powders vs. ???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Extreme powders vs. ???

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default Extreme powders vs. ???

In North Carolina the weather can range from 90s to the teens during hunting seasons i.e. pig, deer, yote etc… I’ve experienced some change in accuracy and erratic shots with loads made with IMR 4350 and H414 when temps drop low. I develop my loads when the temps are in the 90’s and hunt in all temps. I was thinking of trying H4350, Varget and maybe H4895 in my 7-08 with 140gr, 243 with 100gr and 30-06 with 165gr bullet. I have tried H4831SC but it was not as accurate as IMR4350 or H414.

Opinions on these powders for the cartridges and thoughts on Extreme powders. Thanks
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

read the ingredients on the can, if it says it contains nitrocellulose, its a single based powder, the extreme powders and IMR 4350 are single based, the extreme bit is a marketing technique by hodgdon, if it says it contains nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine it is a double based powder and will be more temp sensitive than the singlebased powders.
temp sensitivity can be overcome though, just work up summer and winter loads and use them accordingly, if your rifle likes x-brand of bullet at 3100 fps, it doesn't care how much powder it takes to get it there due to the tempatures.
RR
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Spike

Thanks Ridge Runner. Helpful info. I have the 1lb containers and they don't list the ingredients. Is it on the bigger containers? Tried the Hodgdon website and couldn't find it. Is there another place to look? Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

they should tell you on the website in the descriptions of each powder, never saw one that didn't have ingredients on the label somewhere.
RR