Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
RCBS crimping after bullet seating >

RCBS crimping after bullet seating

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

RCBS crimping after bullet seating

Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Spike

Smile RCBS crimping after bullet seating

Hi every one, question, I am loading 40cal and I am wondering if I can put a light taper crimp on my loads after I seat the bullet. I know this would entail a separate operation but every time I crimp (and I try to avoid this when I can) it takes me around 10 bullets to get the right coal and the right crimp. I have a standard rcbs die, I know you can get special dies that crimp only but I don't want to spend the time and money. ps I cannot roll crimp the bullets there is no canulure.
All responses welcome.
Thx
Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

You should not roll crimp cartridges for auto pistols that headspace on the case mouth. Glad to hear you don't even want to do it. It will lead to problems.

As far as a light taper crimp on .40 handloads ...... It's a good idea just to be sure you won't get bullet set back during feeding from the magazine. But be careful to keep it LIGHT. You don't need much and too much will crunch case mouths into the bullet shank and lead to erratic head spacing, a problem you do not need.

I agree with the idea of taper crimping in a separate step. Trying to set a seating die to seat to the right bullet depth AND apply the right amount of crimp all at the same time is problematic and will lead to a certain percentage of your rounds being either over crimped or under crimped. Probably a small percentage , but who needs it?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

it takes me around 10 bullets to get the right coal
Do you use dummy rounds to help get the correct coal? Once I have the desired coal I will make a dummy round to that coal. The next time I am making that cartridge I will:

1. Confirm the dummy is still the correct coal,

2. Raise the seating plug so it will not accidentally come into contact with the bullet,

3. Run the dummy round into the die and then lower the bullet seating plug until it is just touching the bullet. Then tighten the seating plug locking nut.

This should get you pretty close to your desired coal.

I leave the dummy rounds with the dies so they can be easily found when needed.