Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Talk me out of buying a small base sizing die >

Talk me out of buying a small base sizing die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Talk me out of buying a small base sizing die

Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Talk me out of buying a small base sizing die

So I'm getting my feet wet loading 308 for my AR-10. I posted a thread a week or so ago and a member mentioned using a small based sizing die. I'm currently using Dillon dies and have loaded 50 rounds with them. All rounds fired perfectly in my AR-10. But the comment about the die got me worried that I may be doing something wrong. What would be the benefit of switching to a small based sizing die, and what problems could arise if I don't?

Do any of you guys use regular dies to size 308 for an AR-10, and if so, have you experienced any problems?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use standard sizing dies in semi-autos. If you have feeding problems, then I would get a small base; but it sounds like you don't need one.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't do it, you don't need it, the only time you need a SB die is if you have an undersized chamber, the AR-10 is chambered 7.62x51, it is a generously cut 308 chamber. the only rifles I ever saw that needed them were browning auto's.
use regular dies, and keep track of how much spring back you develop, then either bump the shoulders a bit more or anneal the brass.
small base dies resize the brass to just under minimal specs, if you don't need them you wear your brass out in 1/2 the time.
RR
Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
don't do it, you don't need it, the only time you need a SB die is if you have an undersized chamber, the AR-10 is chambered 7.62x51, it is a generously cut 308 chamber. the only rifles I ever saw that needed them were browning auto's.
use regular dies, and keep track of how much spring back you develop, then either bump the shoulders a bit more or anneal the brass.
small base dies resize the brass to just under minimal specs, if you don't need them you wear your brass out in 1/2 the time.
RR
How much shoulder bump to you shoot for? I'm currently bumping them back 0.003.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

3-4 is a good place to be for autoloaders
Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

.002 is the standard, but when brass hardens it springs back, so at times you set the die for .005 to get .002, I usualy just anneal it then it doesn't spring back.
RR