Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which brass cleaning process do you prefer? >

Which brass cleaning process do you prefer?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which brass cleaning process do you prefer?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner, does a fantastic job cleaning inside and out, including the primer pockets.

Depending on how dirty the brass is, and how clean I want it to end up, I use different solutions.

If I want pure clean, bright shiny brass, I use 50/50 white vinegar and hot water with a shotglass of dish-soap or Hornady cleaning solution for 15-20min. Then hot water with a shotglass of hornady solution for 5min, 5min cycle rinse with distilled water, and they look bright.

It's pretty cheap per washing. I wanna say I get 250ish pieces of .223rem brass in each batch. Would fit more, but wouldn't clean as well. It DOES clean better the fewer pieces you install.

Here's a link for cleaning you might be interested in:

6mmbr.com Ultrasonic Cleaning Guide

My method is similar to the "Clean and Shiny" recipe from Baney about 2/3 down the page. I haven't seen any benefit of Birchwood Casey over the Hornady solution, and I got a sale deal on the Hornady solution 2 yrs ago, bought enough to last me about 3 lifetimes at the rate I use it.

If I notice excessive char in the primer pockets (something I've learned to gauge), I may pocket brush them before. Most of the time, the solution takes care of it, no matter how dirty it is. If the solution is really dirty, or if the primer pockets don't come clean, I may brush them during the cleaning process, or re-vinegar them or re-hornady solution them. Mostly that depends on how I feel that day. I don't really have a standard method because it doesn't happen very often.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use fine corncob media and then do the primer pockets by hand. As others have said, I can inspect cases at same time. The fine corncob media does a really good job inside the pockets also. i also use walnut hull, just depends on which tumbler I grab first.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I currently tumble with a 50/50 mix of corn cob and walnut media. Hoping Santa brings me a wet tumbler for Christmas. I really like the looks of the brass tumbled with SS pins. HD.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

There is a reason competitive shooters, for the most part, are using wet tumbling with stainless pins. It cleans all areas and eliminates extra steps to post tumble cleaning. Important when you are processing a lot of brass. They have come up with some innovative ways to dry brass too.

Most are also using Giraud trimmers...

Me, I am still in the dark ages I guess with my 20 year old RCBS vibratory cleaner, walnut shell and some Ajax or Comet. Cleans most areas very well but I still find I need to wash and dry.

Some day I may catch up... Probably this year still as I have 1200 223 cases and 2400 '06 cases to get through from 2013 and hope they make it the whole 2014 season. 4 guns worth total.

Or you could just skip the whole mess and send your brass to (I am in no way affiliated)...

http://www.mountaineer-brass-processing.com/
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

I find the that the walnut media creates too much dust. Cleans just as well as corn cob but makes more of a mess.

Personal preference. Nothing more.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned

Very good stuff fellow reloaders!
I'm leaning towards tumbler/pins . . . soon as Santa gets here!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a little wire brush I bought so long ago I can't remember where and I would like a new one. Just chucked into the drill and set the trigger and cleaned the primer pockets and inspected the cases as I did the job.
I've been tumbling in rice since the mid 1970's and haven't found any thing I like better yet.

Course I use a industrial size tumbler instead of those wimpy things sold for tumbling rocks.

Al