Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reducing loads with Lapua brass? >

Reducing loads with Lapua brass?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reducing loads with Lapua brass?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default Reducing loads with Lapua brass?

.308 using Lapua brass. I've noticed some slight signs of high pressure and was told that when using Lapua brass, to reduce the loads because the casing walls are thicker.
But by how much, I would like to know. I've read 1.5 grains across the board but am interested in what some of you guys think.
After ladder groups with Winchester brass, settled on 44 gr of RL-15.
That load is what is flattening out the primers and such. Not so hot that you couldn't easily eject the cartridge and reload, but flattening the primer and marking the case bottoms slightly.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Powder scale, 5 win brass within your average brass weight range, 5 Lapua brass within their average weight range. Spent primer or piece of tape to seal the pocket.

Fill with water, weigh the water. Gives you the difference in capacity. That'd at least give you an idea.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

what primers? measure casehead expansion if its not over .001-.0015, wouldn't worry about it, back the load off 1/2 gr and see if the ejector wipes go away.
RR
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. Makes sense.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience lapua brass can stand a lot more pressure than any other brand of brass and hold up well doing it.
here is a copy/paste from an article about Tom Sarvers 1000 yard 1.403" world record group shot at thunder valley range that helps to prove my point
Tom was shooting a big 30 wildcat he calls the “300 Hulk”, a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps. Tom is using about 85 grains of H1000. He anneals the Lapua brass after every firing, and the brass that set the record was on its 58th firing!
RR