Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Tumble before or after depriming/sizing? >

Tumble before or after depriming/sizing?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tumble before or after depriming/sizing?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I tumble with rice.

I tried to deprime after tumbling and that did break some hardened depriming pins when grains were caught in the flash hole. Now I tumble after depriming and the wash.
I do a minium of 500 at a time in the tumbler.

Al
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
jp4
Spike

Default dirt-grit

The main reason for tumbling brass is to get it clean,,--BEFORE it goes into your dies. The decapper pin will push any media out with the spent primer.

To avoid plugging up flash holes when tumbling after sizing, get finer grit media. One source of the fine corncob is here;

http://www.drillspot.com/products/52...bs_blast_media

And it ships free! 40 pounds of that will last you and others a very long time. It's small grit size will not get hung up in flash holes.

As for walnut, look around on drillspot, they may have that in finer grit as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had problems with the flash hole clogging with Graff's corn cob media but I love their walnut.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR, what brand(s) of polish come in the RED variety? I have only used the midway product in the plastic bottle with flip lid. Does the fact that the polish you mention is RED have anyting to do with it's effectiveness? Is the RED color a type of milling rouge?

I'm getting ready to load for many of my rifles and handguns and am trying to get up to speed on the new loading products.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
RR, what brand(s) of polish come in the RED variety? I have only used the midway product in the plastic bottle with flip lid. Does the fact that the polish you mention is RED have anyting to do with it's effectiveness? Is the RED color a type of milling rouge?

I'm getting ready to load for many of my rifles and handguns and am trying to get up to speed on the new loading products.

Thanks
I posted this discovery on another posting about what I found and it just seems to be the color the walnut hulls come out after being crushed up. I don't feel that the color is added for I have used it as garage spill media after it gets dirty, as I do my corn cob stuff, when changing oil on the Harleys and it never leaves the red color behind on a painted floor.
I have used it several times on various calibers and it seems to work real well on somewhat dirty brass. I don't use an additive with it though. When I plan on doing some really dirty range pick up brass after we have a training day, I use corn cob with some Frankford Arsenal brass tumbler additive. Smells like oranges. Works OK.
I found that crushed walnut hull stuff that RR was speaking of for about $11 for a 15-17lb bag at out local Pets Smart store under that same name and use.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
jp4
Spike

Default Red/green/bad news

The red junk will rub off on your brass, leaving a film behind. It's usually made by Lyman, called tuff-nut. Quite simply, you don't NEED anything on either walnut or corncob to CLEAN your brass. If you want a high shine, you'll have to add some sort of tumbler polish additive. They make one that's green as well

Flitz makes one, Midway makes another, Berry's, dillon too. What works well, is inexpensive is nu-finish car polish. It has some mild abrasive, AND a tiny bit of wax remains on the brass. This is important to preserve the shine, and prevent brass tarnish.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use zilla lizard bedding as a medium, its crushed wallnut. I tumble before I deprime.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Its red polishing rouge, its what the walnut hulls you buy are treated with, you can also buy a bottle of activator to add a dab periodicly. I also read some good reports from guys using rice and adding some car wax and 1 oz of alcahol and one other ingredient that slips my mind will see if I can find which forum it was on.
RR
I could see the polishing rouge for tumbling media, but what about the lizard litter? I don't think their dirty dueces needs polishing!!!! Thats what we call politicians!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input about the crushed walnut shells and the additives. I saw the posts about the lizard bedding and took note. Stopped by the local pet supply and found decent sized bags for much less than Midway wanted for walnut media.

NuFinish car wax? I've got a real old bottle that will get tested soon.

Did I see someone say that tossing in a dryer cloth (fabric softener?) helps reduce any clinging dust? Good stuff you guys. Can't wait to get busy with the tumbler.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is great! I guess I'll go with rice and save even more $ than going with lizard bedding over commercially availalbe walnut tumbling media. Who'da thunk it?

Great advice and a huge money saver. Thanks RR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.