Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which powder?  45 colt. >

Which powder? 45 colt.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which powder? 45 colt.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Which powder? 45 colt.

Ive been using unique for years. I was interested in trying something new. I am going to be loading up some jhp 250 grain. Ill be plinking and shooting hogs. My normal load for this is 8 grains unique, which cronies about 850 fps. I would not mind the round a tad bit hotter, around 900+ fps. What do yall think.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I shoot a 255 gr. SWC with 10.5 hrs. Unique and am getting 1119 fps. velocity. But remember I am shooting this round out of a Ruger BH heavy frame revolver!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

+p is a little hot for this gun
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it would be too heavy. Are you using a clone sixshooter? If so which one?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

A redhawk. Might even run some through a judge. Im thinking of useing some herco.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 12-10-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily View Post
+p is a little hot for this gun
I don't get it??? if you are shooting a Redhawk, you are shooting the strongest revolver in the world! But if you are talking about the judge, I don't know. Don't think I have ever seen any data on the Judge or it's limitations.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob View Post
I don't get it??? if you are shooting a Redhawk, you are shooting the strongest revolver in the world! But if you are talking about the judge, I don't know. Don't think I have ever seen any data on the Judge or it's limitations.
Those are the two 45 colts i have. I shoot + p rounds in the ruger for hog hunting. I shoot a cowboy round in both. I was refering to the judge. As for this post, i was looking for suggestions on other powders for standard pressure rounds. I just want to try different powders for chits and grins. Ive only loaded unique for 45s and some h110 for + p rounds.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily View Post
Those are the two 45 colts i have. I shoot + p rounds in the ruger for hog hunting. I shoot a cowboy round in both. I was refering to the judge. As for this post, i was looking for suggestions on other powders for standard pressure rounds. I just want to try different powders for chits and grins. Ive only loaded unique for 45s and some h110 for + p rounds.
I also have a Judge that I use for the woods during early archery season for deer here in Virginia. What I have done is use my cowboy loads from CAS shooting. I use the new Trail Boss powder. The accuracy of the .45 colt in the Judge is not that fantastic, but with a low weight bullets seem to work well. I found that when I used a heavier bullet the accuracy got bad and opened up. Now I am using a 200 gr. flat nose lead bullet and it is good out to 35 to 40 yes. This is more then enough for what I am using it for.

I think the jump the bullets makes from the cylinder to the forcing cone is the problem with for the low accuracy. I have also used a 200 gr. HP bullet from Speer. They don't make them anymore, but it is the old flying ashtray HP. I haven't tried the newer HP! I ail have to give them a try.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Go here and read an EXCELLENT forum of info on my favorite powder- Trail Boss for the 45 Colt

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/27860-trail-boss.html
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.