HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which powder? 45 colt.
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 AM
rafsob
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Those are the two 45 colts i have. I shoot + p rounds in the ruger for hog hunting. I shoot a cowboy round in both. I was refering to the judge. As for this post, i was looking for suggestions on other powders for standard pressure rounds. I just want to try different powders for chits and grins. Ive only loaded unique for 45s and some h110 for + p rounds.
I also have a Judge that I use for the woods during early archery season for deer here in Virginia. What I have done is use my cowboy loads from CAS shooting. I use the new Trail Boss powder. The accuracy of the .45 colt in the Judge is not that fantastic, but with a low weight bullets seem to work well. I found that when I used a heavier bullet the accuracy got bad and opened up. Now I am using a 200 gr. flat nose lead bullet and it is good out to 35 to 40 yes. This is more then enough for what I am using it for.

I think the jump the bullets makes from the cylinder to the forcing cone is the problem with for the low accuracy. I have also used a 200 gr. HP bullet from Speer. They don't make them anymore, but it is the old flying ashtray HP. I haven't tried the newer HP! I ail have to give them a try.