Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
338 Elk/Moose & Brown Bear >

338 Elk/Moose & Brown Bear

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

338 Elk/Moose & Brown Bear

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up 338 Elk/Moose & Brown Bear

As you've probably noticed from previous posts the 338 cal bug has bitten me.

I've pretty much gotten my lighter loads figured out for white tail and black bear (pretty good results with H4350 and 160 TTSX). Though will try H4895 and 160 TTSX and maybe some 180 or 200 Nosler AB's if time allows this fall.

What bullet / load combinations have you seen that do an acceptable job on Elk & moose ? Would you use these on Brown bear?

You know how it goes there's no one size fits all load, but a light and heavy load per caliber, or rifle kinda makes sense to me.

It's on my bucket list to do an Alaskan brown bear hunt.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any 225gr or heavier, Nosler Accubond or Partition, Speer GrandSlams, Hornady Interbond, Or Sierra GameKing. All will do the trick. Just find the one that shoots best
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 225 gr. for elk or moose. A 250 gr. for brown bear. Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or E Tip, Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh Weldcore SP, or 230 gr. Norma Oryx PP.

I would use the same bullets for elk and moose as I would for brown bear just 225 gr. The 230 gr. Norma Qryx PP would be a good choice for both.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

bucklessyooper,
A few years back I was also bitten by the .338WM bug! In the end, I acquired a custom built rifle on an Mark X action and a TCR'83 with a custom barrel. After that I reloaded up to handle elk and moose and I reloaded down so that I could spend more time at the shooting range (I just can't handle too too may full load without getting a sore shoulder).

The minimum I reloaded for elk and moose is the 250 grain bullet and have tried several different powders. As I am not a chronograph, I couldn't tell the 150 f/s difference that the tables tell ya'.

Now I lived in Alaska for over 17 years and I have to say, based upon my experience as a surveyor working in the Bush, that not all brown bears are the same. There are brown bears and then there are the coastal browns. Working on the Aleutian Chain I would see these buggers everyday; they are BIG! And while my dream to hunt them never materialized, I always figured that if and when I was going to hunt them I would use my .338 with the biggest bullets I could find. Like on the order of 300 grains. Now I had friends and acquaintances who were successful and they used .375 H/H mags. As I recall they used .375's for everything big in Alaska...moose, elk, buffalo and brown bear.

Now I live in Virginia and my .338s just don't see any use during deer season; I wouldn't want to wake the whole county when I touch off a round. Ha!

Just my two cents worth of observation and experience! Use it as you might.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

DROX

When you made your reduced loads what types of bullets and powders did you try? Going to try some H4895 powder for my reduced loads this fall.Prolly 160 TTSX or 180 NAB's for bullets.

Any experience with IMR7828 for heavy loads? Noticed on Hodgdon's website they have noted a lot of accurate loads with this powder. Have some experience with H4350 on 200 grain slugs, so for future heavy loads may try that since I have a pound, or so on hand.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

bucklessyooper,
Nah, I never used either of those powders. Although, I can't put my hands on my reloading notes as I don't do much reloading anymore, I do remember that I used IMR 4831 and AA3100 for full loads. Mostly because there used to be a store in Anchorage called Longs Drugs that usually had good sales and I could get these powders cheap! Also, the reduced load data that I would use came from the Speer Reloading Book 12th Edition. It called for using IMR SR4759 (a bulky pistol powder) and 200 grain bullets.

As with all reloading be careful and always validate and verify any information that you may get from anyone! Enjoy!!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I run 225's out of my 338wm for elk and moose(no brown bear here or hunts to in my future). Started with AB's in this rifle, shot good but didn't really like the results on a moose shot a few years ago. I switched to barnes TSX which I've had great results on the likes of the biggest deer in NA and never looked back. Groups amazing and performance is stellar as usual. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 225gr tsx on any bear...including a brown!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Skeeter,

What grain Barnes bullet were you using for moose? I ran a lot of scenario's on www.biggameinfo.com with the Barnes 225 grain tipped tsx and really like the numbers I see.

Have some H4350, but the only powder I've seen listed for the above bullet is IMR4350. Had a quick e-mail in with Hodgdon and they just suggested using the starting Hornady 225 grain slug data and just slowly working up and look for pressure.

Pretty standard reply you would get from a powder company. I've nothing against IMR4350, but when I have a pound, or two of 4350 at camp I would like to use it. Also wondered about using H4895 to work up a 225 grain NAB, or SST load. Can never have too many loads and hard to say what the rifle might shoot well.

Guess sense I never had a chemistry set as a kid I like to experiment with reloads
Always on the safe side though; with an engineering background I have a healthy respect for limits.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found my 338 likes IMR 4350 and RL19 powders the best. My most accurate load is a 225 Nosler AB with RL19. It also shoots equally good with the 225 SST and RL19.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Fritz,

Have you had a chance to see how the 225 grainer SST, or Accubond work on game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.