HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Elk/Moose & Brown Bear
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM
DROX
Fork Horn

bucklessyooper,
A few years back I was also bitten by the .338WM bug! In the end, I acquired a custom built rifle on an Mark X action and a TCR'83 with a custom barrel. After that I reloaded up to handle elk and moose and I reloaded down so that I could spend more time at the shooting range (I just can't handle too too may full load without getting a sore shoulder).

The minimum I reloaded for elk and moose is the 250 grain bullet and have tried several different powders. As I am not a chronograph, I couldn't tell the 150 f/s difference that the tables tell ya'.

Now I lived in Alaska for over 17 years and I have to say, based upon my experience as a surveyor working in the Bush, that not all brown bears are the same. There are brown bears and then there are the coastal browns. Working on the Aleutian Chain I would see these buggers everyday; they are BIG! And while my dream to hunt them never materialized, I always figured that if and when I was going to hunt them I would use my .338 with the biggest bullets I could find. Like on the order of 300 grains. Now I had friends and acquaintances who were successful and they used .375 H/H mags. As I recall they used .375's for everything big in Alaska...moose, elk, buffalo and brown bear.

Now I live in Virginia and my .338s just don't see any use during deer season; I wouldn't want to wake the whole county when I touch off a round. Ha!

Just my two cents worth of observation and experience! Use it as you might.