Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Loading slugs?

Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Spike

Default Loading slugs?

I saw on another forum a discussion about slugs. And that many of the newer slug guns made for slugs could handle higher pressure and velocity shells. Someone compared to the situation with the 45-70 and making loads that won't make the lawyers go crazy. Has anyone tried reloading slugs to higher velocities?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to Ballistic Products for slug loading data.

Be highly suspicious of those that exceed SAAMI specs on shotshell pressures.....many guns are capable of extra pressure for sure...Remington's 870 for one.....but it's simply not worth it....stick to commercial published loads.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

^x2. all you will be doing is punishing yourself more with slugs. to me shooting even 3" slugs with a 12 is unpleasant and not needed.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't push the limits because a slug, being the big, heavy bullet it is; it will build pressure faster then a lighter load. 50 FPS faster isn't going to be noticable or worth the risk in the field. I would stick to SAAMI specs as mentioned before.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Spike

The intenet is full of bad advice and dangerous loads. I've been reloading for 40 years, and I see ignorant advice all the time, partularly toward certain cartridges: .44 Magnum, .30-06, .45-70, .38 Special, .380 ACP, 9mm Luger, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, .357 Magnum and a few others.
Your best source is the manufacturer of the component.

I don't believe in the concept of "Lawyer Loads."
What I DO believe in is that instrumentation and the understanding of ballistics has advanced greatly in the past 15 years or so. Loads once considered slightly below maximum have been discovered to be maximum or greater, thanks to instruments that measure more accurately, and a better understanding of what occurs after the firing pin hits the primer.

Also, component manufacturers have to consider that some designs are weaker than others, so they have to tailor their recommendation to that weakness. Why? Because too many shooters are ignorant. They are either not familiar with their firearm's limitations, or refuse to acknowledge it.

Before you try to "Magnumize" 12 gauge slugs, measure the benefit against the detriment. You may gain a few dozen feet per second, perhaps 100 fps, but you'll strain your gun and cause its premature wear. It may also be damaged, or even experience what we experienced relaoders call, "an instant disassembly."
Shooting a few rounds proves nothing. It may take dozens of rounds before your gun is damaged or lets go.

The 12-gauge slug factory load has an exceptional reputation as a stopper. Guides in Africa use it to go after wounded lion in heavy brush. I know Canadians who rely on factory 12 gauge slugs to protect them from grizzly bears at close range -- and it's a proven performer.
The 12, 16 and 20-gauge slugs perform well beyond what their ballistics suggest.

Kinda hard to argue with success.

I wouldn't exceed what modern reloading books or the component manufacturer suggest. You may very well lose more than you gain.