Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Data Question >

Reloading Data Question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Data Question

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Banned

Default Reloading Data Question

Fairly new to reloading (less than a year) with awesome results!
(I'm addicted)
Been wondering . . . as you read a load data sheet from Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, etc. are the powders and loads at the top because they are more preferred than the ones at the bottom?

Or is it a random sampling of acceptable powders and loads? I mean, the pressures and velocities don't go from hot to cool (top to bottom).
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless they specifically say one load is what gave the best results for a particular bullet, it is usually just a random list of what they ran through for a reference to know where to start and not exceed.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

Yeah I get that from comparing various company's data sheets. It almost seems as if they give you a variety so you can use a powder you already have on the shelf!
When working up a load, I like to start with 3 different powders and three different load amounts each to determine what my gun responds to the best.
So............. How do you pick which powders from such a list?! I'm certainly not going to buy 8 different powders to try them all.

Last edited by dig4gold; 01-18-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

It seems to me that the powder's are listed top to bottom by relative quickness. Faster at the top slower at the bottom.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most times you can find information from the manufacturer of the bullet you want to use and they will have recommendations for what powder works best for it. Most is right online if you go into their websites. An example is that I use Hornady BTSPs in my 25-06 and 30-06 and IMR 4350 was a powder suggested by Hornady for them. I worked up loads for them and got below MOA in both rifles. I was going to use the same powder for the .243 Sako I'm getting in March after my Dad died last September, but even though I could use the same powder for it, they suggest using IMR 4064. Therefore, I will start with that and if I can't work up a good load with it I'll try the 4350.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

The best charge for each powder is marked and then the best powder overall is marked.

Last edited by stapher1; 01-18-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

In cases where a best powder is mentioned, it was the best powder in that test and in that rifle only. The best powder's are the one's that best fill the case without compressing the powder with the bullet. My best loads with my 243 are with IMR 4350 and H414. They are slower than than IMR 4064 but 4064 is a good powder. In the 308 I don't use anything as slow as IMR4350, just to slow. But powder's like 4064, 3031, W748 ect are really good powder's.

Keep in mind that everything in those load tables is accurate for the rifle it was developed in at that time, your luck with it may vary! That does not mean it's a printing error, only that different rifles on different days and maybe even it different places may like one power or the other than what is listed in the manuals. The most important thing that telling you what was the best powder for them is where is falls on the burn chart. If you look at that you'll find several powders that will work if you have data for it.