Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What do you record when shooting reloads? >

What do you record when shooting reloads?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What do you record when shooting reloads?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

Default What do you record when shooting reloads?

I'm old to hunting/shooting . . . but am just starting to reload (finally!!). I'm ready to go shoot some of my first loads and was wondering what in particular you record when looking at the results of shooting paper?
I have of course recorded the bullet weight, powder charge, powder type and brand . . . but want to make sure I don't miss anything at the range.
I'm thinking accuracy at 100yds for sure, but what else?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be aware of excess-pressure signs and always check for them when you change a load.
Anyways, as far as load testing, I would also record COL. When I don't like my results I'll try a couple different lengths in .003-.005" increments, each with a few powder charges. A lotta times I've gotten lucky and the 1st load works great. Sometimes it takes a couple trips out to shoot with a variety of loads. Especially when load-developing, I'd shoot either all shots cold bore or start each group cold bore. Just takes a variable away so you're not getting mixed results.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Yeah, I'm too new at this to try something outside the recommended charge above or below. Strictly by the book at this point. I have recorded the overall cartridge length. I am staying .020 back from the lands/grooves to start.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

bullet, brand, style and weight
powder, brand, type and possibly batch
brass, brand, number of fired times, trimmed to length
new brass or fired brass
total number of pieces of ammo in that batch
cartridge overall length
primer, brand, type
velocity average
SD
gun the ammo was fired in (I have 3 22-250s. 3 .204s and multiples of others as well)

I also shoot some wildcat cartridges that require case forming and fireforming. I record the process I used to get the best finished brass. I record whether or not I annealed it too.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't sound like a bad place to start! This is just me, but I tend to run at the rifling or within .015--I mostly load/shoot 7mmRM or 25-06. Anywho, I'd work up to max charge with your current COL. Then try a couple different COLs with a couple different charge weights and you oughta find something pretty quick. It's hard to go wrong with tight groups and a good/fast bullet
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

After measuring, don't forget to note the max COL.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Spike

With a bullet comparator, measure ogive lenght.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget forget weather conditions, wind speed, temp, some powders are affected by heat or cold. Have had loads that i tested in warm temperature (75 degrees) and all shots were touching and when the temperature dropped below 50 degrees, the group opened up to over 2". So i made a personal rule to only test loads in the condititions it will ammo be used in. Deer loads test in cold weather and varmint only in warm weather.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Mostly I'll be loading .308. But also have 25-06, .243, 30-30, and am considering a 22-250 barrel for my Savage (.308).

Last edited by dig4gold; 03-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cartridge: (of course)
Date Loaded:
Bullet: (manufacturer, style, weight, and lot number)
Powder: (manufacturer, "number", and lot number)
Case: (manufacturer, case length trimmed to)
COAL: (or measure to the ogive with a comparator)
Velocity: (use the average, I usually include standard deviation as well)

Test conditions: (sky, wind velocity and direction in relation to your target, temp, humidity, altitude).

I usually fire a group and record it. If it doesn't shoot well, I know something's off and I may want to do some troubleshooting before I duplicate that particular load again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.