Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
decisions, about slug reloading >

decisions, about slug reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

decisions, about slug reloading

Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
bigcountry

Default decisions, about slug reloading

Well, shot went thru 40 slugs lymans 525gr. Tried two different hulls, with two different powders. Best I can pull out is 2-3" groups at 50 yards. Tried WSF, and Unique. Lyman slug also drops like a freakin hammer at 100 yards. Talking 4" or more. Has a BC of .067!!!

My crimps leave alot to be desired. Wonder if I can tighen up the groups playing around with that.

So I got to make a decision. Invest in a decent roll crimp, and another set of slugs like hammerheads, maybe buy another pound of powder SR 4576.

I could try commanders for sale at midwayusa, but no load data. Would have to use hammerhead data or simular.

I get 2MOA at 100 yards with coppersolids. Guy at slugsRus, says its the roll crimp causing my large groups. He swears roll crimp is much better.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Have you looked at the BPI sabot componants for shotgun slugs? I'm having a little sucess (<=2moa) with the 12ga x 50cal sabot and 350gr 50 cal Hornady. I'm using 28-29gr of IMR PB powder. gas seal. roll crimp. I'm also struggling to make a clean roll crimp. I think I'm going to start trimming the hulls so there isn't so much material to roll over.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by CZ2506
Have you looked at the BPI sabot componants for shotgun slugs? I'm having a little sucess (<=2moa) with the 12ga x 50cal sabot and 350gr 50 cal Hornady. I'm using 28-29gr of IMR PB powder. gas seal. roll crimp. I'm also struggling to make a clean roll crimp. I think I'm going to start trimming the hulls so there isn't so much material to roll over.
I wanted to go that route, but lots of bad reports with thier sabot. Good to see its working for you.

I saw on shotgunnerworld, folks drilling holes in the bases of the sabot and all kinds of crazy stuff to get good results.

Next up is slugsRus. Let me know how your progress is going. would much rather shoot a 1600-1800fps 350 load than a 525gr.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I gave up on slug reloading, the money was better spent on premium factory slugs. it was fun trying to test my reloading ability, not so much