Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What makes a cast lead 30-30 bullet? >

What makes a cast lead 30-30 bullet?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What makes a cast lead 30-30 bullet?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What makes a cast lead 30-30 bullet?

Question for the bullet casters.

Why isn't it also a .308 bullet?

I noticed over the years that certain cast bullets are listed as 30-30 bullets. Is it because the caste is just shorter in length. The diameter is the same for the .308 and the 30-06, isn't it. .309 in the case of casting lead bullets.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

The first 30 is in reference to the caliber and the second is in reference to the powder weight. The 30.06 is similar-the 30 is the caliber and the 06 is the first year of production.

Though the bore diameter is .308, with cast bullets you would use what shoots best be it, .308, .309, .310, .311. You want to size your bullet for the best fit to help keep the hot gases behind the bullet to also help keep the leading in check. The use of a gas check is also used and a good lube as well.

Those bullets listed as 30-30 is because they are either a flat nose or round nose profile that are ideal for use in a tubular magazine.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Those bullets listed as 30-30 is because they are either a flat nose or round nose profile that are ideal for use in a tubular magazine.
That's the only reason for the 30-30 designation. I load the Lee 150 grain FN in both the 30-30 and 30-06. You can't load a cast bullet fast enough to take advantage of a pointed nose, and a flat point works better anyway at killing deer. I just loaded 50 of each using Trail Boss for a trip to the range next week.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thanks for the info

I've reloaded cast bullets, but never became a caster, and my losing two summers and falls, for reloading, got the old brain to stop remembering all the lingo.

I did an inventory about a year ago. I have some 150 lead bullets, marked for a 30 caliber, 165 gr., FP. I intend to shoot some reduced loads in a 30-06 rifle. I had some gas checks for 30 caliber, sitting unused. I can use, I recall, a Lee Lube and Sizer kit, .309, under $20, to attach the gas checks to the lead bullets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This coming year, it will be to clean out all the old inventory at the practice range and sight in maybe one new copper jacketed rifle bullet for hunting.

May as well use up money that's been spent.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a load that I use in my Encore with a 300WM Begara barrel that I use in Schuetzen competition. The bullet is the Lyman #311332 which is a pointed (GC) 190 gr bullet using Caranuba Red lube, 22 grains of SR4759 to a velocity of 1640 fps. Bullet I size to .311 and is seated long so when the action is closed the bullet finish seats in the case. Alloy is WW with 2% tin added and cast at 800-825 degrees, then water quenched. This load does well at the 200 yards and can blow out the X ring on the SR-42 target when I benched it. Definitly shoots better than I can though I do alright.

With the Caranuba Red it is a high velocity lube good to 2700+ fps.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
I've reloaded cast bullets, but never became a caster, and my losing two summers and falls, for reloading, got the old brain to stop remembering all the lingo.

I did an inventory about a year ago. I have some 150 lead bullets, marked for a 30 caliber, 165 gr., FP. I intend to shoot some reduced loads in a 30-06 rifle. I had some gas checks for 30 caliber, sitting unused. I can use, I recall, a Lee Lube and Sizer kit, .309, under $20, to attach the gas checks to the lead bullets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This coming year, it will be to clean out all the old inventory at the practice range and sight in maybe one new copper jacketed rifle bullet for hunting.

May as well use up money that's been spent.
Your memory isn't all that bad...you sure can and thats what you want to do. That will crimp the GC to the bullet better than the press fit type.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 12-19-2010 at 04:59 AM.