Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder? >

7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default 7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder?

My son and I just got into reloading a few months ago. It started because we got interested in IDPA. Now I am reloading our rifle ammo... and having a ball! I bought the dies for .243, .30-.30, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-06. I am particularly interested in my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag.

I finally shot up the remainder of some old, but very good, Winchester SilverTips in 125 Grain. These bullets gave me amazing performance on our 'lil 'ol deer down here in Florida! Since I can't find that same bullet, I chose Barnes Triple Shock in 120 grain. It was my thinking that I could get one powder to load all these rounds, and I bought Varget. The Barnes rep told me later that Varget was not a good powder to use for 7 mag... he told me to use an IMR spec that I can't remember, nor can I find the note! I would appreciate your recommendations and advice as to what will give me the best velocity and accuracy. The Varget, per Barnes at their recommendations, gives me about 2700fps... which kind of defeats the prupose of shooting a 7 mag... IMO!

Thanks for your help...

Kerrdog
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could RL22 in the 243, 30-06 and 7RM, though I don't shoot a 30-30 (kinda think varget would be good for it though)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
IMR 4350 will work very good in all but the 30/30, and try a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip, you just don't need a controlled expansion bullet in a 7mm mag for a 110# deer. RR
What kind of velocity could I expect with 4350? The Natchez rep recommended the Barnes. Being a Newb, I had no idea. Is the TShock overkill or is it a bad performer for mid-size game?

PS, the discontinued wins were not silver tips, just 125 gr soft points, I used them for years in the 7 RM, awesome deer bullets RR
You're right. Thought I remembered Silver-Tip on the box... had to go look!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TSX is a good bullet, but like RR said it doesn't take much for deer hunting. I've used cheap/light bullets with great success. I save the TSXs in my 7 for elk, and use cheaper 'standard' bullets of one flavor or another that I like, for deer. Or mebbe you can just bum some of RRs 200 grainers
Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

You may want to invest in a Barnes reloading manual. I have a friends here (Number 3). If you want, PM me your email address and I can email you some info. The number 3 manual is old and doesn't have the BTS but it has a different 120 gr. bullet.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

For the 7mm Rem Mag I can use either the IMR4831, RL19, or RL22 using the 140 grain TTSX in my Browning with under 1" MOA. All loads I use Nosler brass & GM215M primers.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMR4350 for the most useful powder across all rounds except for 30-30.

RL22 for the 7mm Mag. It's my favorite powder for the 7mm.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Spike

Thanks ALL for your ideas and input. I am eagerly anticipating shooting my own loads. Since all my brass was fired originally through my rifle, I expected all the brass to chamber upon reloading... as in EVERYthing says it will, as a result of fire-forming! But it don't! What a bunch of Hooey!! So far... of the 40 casings... I have reloaded 8 rounds, and three of them have chambered correctly. So I ordered a set of RGB full length sizing dies.

Here is what I consider an oddity??
I test-fired one round with the Varget powder. I loaded a medium level load. I was, and am, VERY certain I did not screw it up! With the 120 TX at 100 yards, the round kicked harder, and was louder, than the factory Winchesters. Is this because of different powders? I understand the Varget burns too fast... although I don't fully understand what that means!

Hope everybody had a blessed Thanksgiving. It has hit a whopping 33* this morning. No wonder I'm sick!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

ok, hard to diagnose your problem but here are some things to try.screw your FLS die down 1/16th to 1/8th turn and resize again, see if they chamber without a bullet. Ya got your press set to cam over? if your having problems getting them to chamber with a bullet loaded is your seater die set properly? could be crimping as the bullet seats bulging the case slightly.RR

Sorry RR... I wasn't very clear. I ordered the FLS die set... have not got it yet. I have been using a neck sizing die up to this point. I kept my OA finished cartridge length in line with the factory loads. I do not use a crimping die... as recommended by Barnes. They said it would cause too much pressure.

Thanks for your time...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Spike

ok, then you need to use a fls die and bump the shoulders about .002".easiest best way to set the die and make the cases fit your chamber ishave someone punch a 7mm RM case out to 30 cal, just find someone with a 300 win mag and ask them to punch the expander down the neck. then start with your FLS up a bit lube the case and start resizing it, try to chamber it, and screw the die in a bit each pass. when the bolt will go down with just a bit of resistance, screw the die down 1/16-1/8 turn and lock it down.as time goes on and the brass work hardens it tends to spring back so ya may have to change the setting a bit to get the shoulders back once again.RR
Ahhh... copy that. Sort of "dial it in". Thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.