Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder? >

7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7MM Rem Mag/Barnes TShock/ What powder?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

Got my full-length sizing dies today. I haven't had a chance to chuck them up though... hopefully by this weekend. Thanks for all the tips, RR. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
BTW about any seating die can be set to crimp, so ya gotta watch that, read the adjustment instructions it expains that feature wellRR
Loaded 20 rounds this evening with my new die set. Most of the empty brass would not chamber in my rifle. After resizing, they all chamber nicely. I noticed that after I resized each shell there was a "dimpling" around the shoulder of each shell. The dimpling was not there beforehand. I inspected the die to see if there was a machining error... it looked good visually. I continued through to the end.

The Barnes rep told me NOT to crimp, so I didn't. But the bullets seat at one of the rings, and they were very loose. So I went back and gave them a slight crimp.

Barnes recommended 53 to 58 grains Varget. I went with 55. Anybody see any potential problems here? I don't want to blow my own head off!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

IMO your waisting your time using Varget in a 7MM RM...to fast! Try getting your hands on some RL-19, RL-22, IMR4831 or something along that burn rate. Also look for the powder that will give you the best case fill near 100% and do try different primers with GM215M or WLRM being good choices to start with.

If you go to Hodgdon's reloading center and look up loads you will notice that best case fill runs from top to bottom. Varget is near the bottom!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
IMO your waisting your time using Varget in a 7MM RM...to fast! Try getting your hands on some RL-19, RL-22, IMR4831 or something along that burn rate. Also look for the powder that will give you the best case fill near 100% and do try different primers with GM215M or WLRM being good choices to start with.

If you go to Hodgdon's reloading center and look up loads you will notice that best case fill runs from top to bottom. Varget is near the bottom!
10-4 on the Varget. It was purely ignorance on my part, thinking I could get one powder to load all the rifle calibers I am planning to load. It was recommended by the Natchez rep. When I spoke to the Barnes rep for load data, he told me the same thing you did. But he did say to "have fun and shoot it up"! Barnes recommends the IMR4831.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
your doing ok for starting out just back off the lube some, overlubing is causing the dimples, bright side is, they'll be gone when ya shoot them.RR
Really! The lube!! Never would have thunk it! The stuff stinks anyway so using less would not be a problem. Thanks.