Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Newbie to re-loading >

Newbie to re-loading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Newbie to re-loading

Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default Newbie to re-loading

I am wanting to re-load for my 9mm pistol. What is a good beginer set to get? I am currently borrowing my friends "rock chucker" he calls it. I bought the dies for my 9mm and he has shown me how to do it. So far I have built 700+ rounds.
It's a CBSC (I think)
Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an RCBS - and is about as good as you can get for a basic/beginner type set. I have been loading for several years with mine (pistol included), and my grandpa has been using his for AGES.

A very good set indeed.

Later,

Marcial
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flipside
I am currently borrowing my friends "rock chucker" he calls it. I bought the dies for my 9mm and he has shown me how to do it. So far I have built 700+ rounds.
It's a CBSC (I think)
Flipside, that "Rock Chucker" is about one of the finest reloading presses on the market!
It's available in a package form, that has everything you'll need to get yourself started reloading except brass, bullets, primers, and powder.
I bought mine at Cabelas, but there's many places you can get them.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*680***8604***

There's so many options between manufacturers, but they all pretty much work the same.
The starting point question is, what's your budget?
You can get a Lee set up for just about $100 delivered, or you can step up to the Rockchucker set up for about $350 delivered.
What's the difference?
Ease of use, durability, smoothness of function, reliability...and so forth.
Understand that I'm not knocking the Lee press, just merely speaking of my own personal experiences.
I have lots of stuff from most of the various manufacturers (Lee, Lyman, Hornady, RCBS) and I like all of them for a variety of reasons.
So, check out the various kits available, shop around for hte best pricing, and go for it!
Welcome to the world of reloading!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I did up 250 rounds the othe night..
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on what you want to spend, and from there it kind of depends on what color you like lol. The Lee stuff gets the job done for bottom dollar, and the stuff from RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and others gets it done just the same with with a heavier and bit more refined press. To me so far (about 5 years in and thousands of rounds) I cannot tell much of a difference between the dies.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Lee classit Turret press is awesome. Ive been reloading for about 2 years now and started on a single stage. I still like the single stage press for all rifle loading but for handgun I think the Lee Classic turret is the most bang fr your buck. It is WAY faster than a single stage and not that hard to set up and use. There are pleny vids on the lee web sight and some even better youtube vids on how to setup and use it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Lee Challenger press. It gets the job done but broke two linkage arms. The linkage arm is casted metal. I welded up the second one yesterday. I doubt it will break again after strengthening it up with a few extra breads. Lee is okay but you get what you pay for.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flipside
Thanks for the info guys. I did up 250 rounds the othe night..
Like you, I've been a busy boy. 500 rounds of 45ACP today...
Just ordered .223 boolits.....got a bunch of those to load...
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started out with a Rockchucker about 25 years ago, it's never missed a beat. I've had pieces of other RCBS products break or wear out and parts always show up in the mail a few days after I request them - free of charge. Great support.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

For pistol reloading get yourself a Lee Progressive 1000 for half the price of a RBCS R/C. Pistol reloading for the most part is mostly for plinking at close range unless your competing. No long range accuracy required! Your not going to get any better accuracy out of RCBS single stage than you would out of the Lee and you will be able to load 100's of rounds much faster and in less time. That's where these multi-turret presses really excel over the single stage.

However, If you have plans on reloading any rifle cartridges for accuracy in the near future, than the RCBS is definitly the way to go because to load rifle stuff on the Lee 1000 is always a real challange. Sure you could use the 1000 as a single stage but your better off leaving it set up for your pistol work and get the RCBS later on if you think your going to really get into reloading.

It's like an addiction, once you start it's really hard to stop!!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 11-22-2010 at 05:52 AM.