Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Cast bullets working much better out of old Marlin 30-30 >

Cast bullets working much better out of old Marlin 30-30

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cast bullets working much better out of old Marlin 30-30

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cast bullets working much better out of old Marlin 30-30

I guess that I will start off with a bit of history and why this is of significance. About 3-4 years ago I started casting bullets for 30-30, 44 mag, 357/38, and m/l. I had pretty descent success with 357/38 bullets and the ones for m/l. But not so great of success with 44 or 30-30. Well, I now have an older Glenfield/Marlin 30-30 and it seems to work much better with my 30-30 cast bullet loads. I also have an older 44 Mag Marlin that I have yet to try them in, but that will come soon. What could cause such a difference? I am even using the same bullets that I worked up from 3-4 years ago, so it isn't a difference in loads or materials. Do lead bullets get harder with time?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Do lead bullets get harder with time?

That all depends on your alloy really. With lead bullets it all has to do with sizing the bullet to the correct diameter for best accuracy. I generally will size .002-.003 over bore diameter. So a .308 would be sized .310-.311, this allows for a good tight seal to help keep those hot gases behind the bullet. Which in turn helps keep the leading down and fouling up the barrel. Use a gas check and a good high velocity lube and you should find good success. I have a 300 WM Beragra barrel on a T/C Encore that with my load I hit 1650 FPS with a 195 grain bullet & 22 grains of SR4759 with unbelievable accuracy out to 200 yards. I use the rifle in a Schuetzen league and do pretty well with it. The load actually shoots better than I can.

I have another barrel on order, a 30-30 AI from MGM that I will be working up loads for as soon as it comes in. The smaller case of the 30-30 should give even better performance than the 300WM...time will tell!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of rifling?

Is it the micro groove or ballard type rifling?

I think that is the difference, the micro groove rifling does not shoot lead bullets well.

Later,

Marcial
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that the Glenfield is standard rifling. I do size my bullets with a .311 sizer and I am also using a gas check.