Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Deer Slugs >

Reloading Deer Slugs

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Deer Slugs

Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

Default Reloading Deer Slugs

Is it possible to reload deer slugs and save some money. Cost of deer slugs limits my practicing to limited rounds.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike

Yeah you can do it. Ive never done it and only researched it but Lyman makes a bullet mold to melt your own. Also I cant remember the site but a company from MN makes slugs for this too. Also some slug companys sell their slugs for reloading. Ive heard its tough to get great accuracy from makin your own since everything has to be done exactly the same on every slug. I know you need to roll crimp but I just did a search on yahoo to find all my info.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My MEC Sizemaster came with everything needed to do it but IMO it's not worth switching things over.You can use lower cost slugs for practice and they're often on sale.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 AM
bigcountry

I am loading lyman 525gr slugs. I bought em from http://gardnerscache.com/12_gauge_sabot_slugs.html

The guy is a little flakey and rips you will shipping, but I never cast bullets.

So far, I have only tried Unique, but have some with WSF loaded. Ok results of 3" groups at 50 yards. But I expect better.

You have to have a fold crimper.

I also am working up some loads from BPI http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
for bluforce slugs with roll crimper.

I suggest you buy a lymans shot loading manual. Last section has loads for slugs. Also buy the BPI slug loading manual. You can actually get by without a MEC shot loader or simular with the BPI and roll crimper.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

I've just started loading 50cal 385grain hornady bullets with BPI's 12ga x 50cal sabots. I'm hoping to come up with an accurate load. but I doubt I'll live long enough to save any money. Haven't shot any yet, hope to try a few this weekend.