Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
question about factory load >

question about factory load

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

question about factory load

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default question about factory load

picked up some Remington .243 win 80 gr. psp ammo
and some of them i can shake and hear powder moving like it is not full.some are full. i have also noticed this other calibers i have owned.

are these not loaded properly ?

i'm not too informed on the subject of ammo and i just spent $1400 on a coyote set-up and i want it to be right ! i'm thinking they won't be consistant from round to round.

i just bought the cheapest to get the gun sighted/broken in and them plan on shooting a better cartridge/smaller bullet.
THANKS 1
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dog killer
picked up some Remington .243 win 80 gr. psp ammo
and some of them i can shake and hear powder moving like it is not full.some are full. i have also noticed this other calibers i have owned.

are these not loaded properly ?

i'm not too informed on the subject of ammo and i just spent $1400 on a coyote set-up and i want it to be right ! i'm thinking they won't be consistant from round to round.

i just bought the cheapest to get the gun sighted/broken in and them plan on shooting a better cartridge/smaller bullet.
THANKS 1
Shoot them and see.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

As a reloader, there are some rounds that don't completely fill the case with powder after the bullet is seated, and you'll hear the powder if you shake the round a little.
Theoretically, it hurts consistency in accuracy, as there can be a slight variance in the combustion pattern if the powder is spread differently from shot to shot, but I'm not a good enough shooter to detect the difference.
I know that in my 300WSM, my favorite load is slightly less than "totally full", so I have a small air pocket in every round. If I maxed out the load, I'd have a compressed load, IE the bullet would compact the powder when I seat the bullet, which, in theory, promotes better accuracy.
Is there a difference? I don't honestly know.
Would I worry about it for hunting purposes? Nope.
I think that the difference in accuracy wouldn't be readily detectable until you're reaching out past 300-400 yards, which in a .243 is at or past the range which I would take a shot at any animal.
If you're shooting competitions at extreme range, you may want to reconsider your load, but for yote hunting inside 200, I think the difference is pretty negligible.
You be the judge.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

the powder doesnt always settle the same from load to load. before seating a bullet ill tap the side of the case to help things settle a bit.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Do you have a scale? If so, weigh them and see how much difference from case to case. Shouldn't get more then a couple of grains from case to case unless there is a difference in powder. Not surprizing with cheap factory ammo. I've gotten picky since I started reloading.