Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Had trouble

Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Post Had trouble

I'm new to reloading and a while back I loaded up 30 rounds of 30-06 Sprg useing 55.5gr of win760 and a 150gr partition well I decided to check em and out of 30 12 wouldn't fit I mean they went in almost all the way to where the bolt starts to close but after the bolt starts closeing it stops and won't go all the way down what do y'all think could be wrong?? The other 18 worked as smooth as a factory load and shoot great in my Tikka I even downs a tote with em(firs kill with my own handloads) but I can't figure why they work and those 12 don't. Please help advise me on what to do thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

yup. sounds like your sizing die needs some adjustment.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest getting a decent caliper so you can check the results of the sizing before you go to the next step in the reloading process.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Could be several things. You might have a seater set up wrong so that the crimper is bulging the necks.

could need to be trimmed.

If the brass came out of your rifle, then it should go back in. Generally, you don't need to set the shoulder back too much on once fired brass in your own rifle, so I wouldn't suspect a sizing problem first.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

He brass didn't come from my gun I don't even know if it's been reloaded more than once it was some brass my dad had laying around but it was mostly winchester brass. I'll try screwing my sizeing die down more. Also my dad sent me a bag of new Remington brass(unfited) do I gotta size that or just load and shoot?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbies should do things small

When you're new, you're really new. Could be an error in sizing as mentioned. It could be an error in getting the COL correct (cartridge overall length wrong.)

Better to make mistakes, when newbies make more, with five cartridges than with thirty. You're not involved in mass production. You are involved in a hobby and safety, not speed, is number one.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

All new brass and that fired in another gun must be sized full length.You didn't mention if it was sized full or just neck sized so that might be the problem right there.Good luck!