Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
209 Primer Question >

209 Primer Question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

209 Primer Question

Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Spike

Default 209 Primer Question

I know that you can use 209 shotshell reloading primers in certain in-line muzzleloaders. Can you use 209 in-line muzzleloader primers for reloading shotshells?

Joe Hamby
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Could be dangerous.

I think muzzleloader primers are hotter, so you could raise pressures.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzleloader primers are usually more expensive, so I'm not sure why a person would want to use a more expensive product for an unintended purpose.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any component change for a given load listed in the manuals can result in dangerous pressure levels.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure wouldn't be the first to experiment with that. Like already said what would be the point?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

The regular 209 primers are hotter then "Muzzleloader" primers. When I shoot black powder substitutes such as T7 I use the "muzzleloader" primers. When I shoot BH209 which needs a hotter primer, I use standard 209 primers (STS). If you load a shot gun shell with a "muzzleloader" primer, it may have slow ignition or problems igniting the smokeless powder. Stick to tried and true loads. I don't reload shot gun shells but I shoot my muzzleloader a lot.