Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
........................................ >

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Default ........................................

Last edited by Risasi; 04-16-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of hand primers.
I use my rock chucker to do all priming using those speed sticks.
It works very well.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i run a rock chuckar and use a hand priming tool....never even tried priming on the press...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
bigcountry

I ran rock chucher for years priming. But you just don't have the control you do with a hand primer. Priming with the press is like using a sledge for a 16D nail. This is where you want control on depth and pressure used.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hand primer...only way to roll.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

you might still want to price things bought seperately...i had a buddy thats been reloading forever talk me outta the kit...

i spent more money than the kit..but got much better stuff and everything i have is VERY useful to me for handloading for rifles...

you really dont NEED a powder thrower for handloading accurate rifle loads...my buddy uses a small bowl and a table spoon to measure his...i dump mine from the can right onto my scale...i bought a PACT digital scale and love it...

bought RCBS digital caliper..

i dont think that kit comes with a case trimmer...i bought the RCBS pro kit...

i lube with imperial wax and use the RCBS lube and case neck brushes for inside the neck...read alot that the imperial is GOOD stuff and no messing with a pad and heavy lube leadign to dented cases..

i bought a LEE hand priming tool...cheap and works..

the speer manual would been alright to have around but im primarily shooting nosler bullets so i bought the nosler manual for referencing...

you'll need the Chamfer and deburring tool...powder funnel, loading block..

its upto you....but in the end i spent a little than the kit...but ended up with better stuff and everything i got is useful...

ebay is a good place to look and i ordered alot from Midsouth...i did alot of price checking and thats how i did it...

i couldnt do what i do without calipers and a case trimmer which that kit doesnt come with and thats about 200$ right there id say you NEED ontop of the kit...plus dies, shell holders, and your loading compenents..the scale is personal preference...i like my digital...as well as digital calipers..

also got primer pocket cleaners, flash hole deburring tool and pilot stops, and other random odds n ends the kit doesnt come with....

seems expensive to start...but once you do, you'll likely love it and be loading BETTER ammo at a lower price...for example, accubonds for my whelen run 50-55 a box...im loading them for about 20 a box...my 22-250 ammo is about 30$ a box...i can load for it for a fraction of that...and, my consistency is better than factory ammo...so my ammo is better and i can shoot more...

at first i thought my buddy was nuts as the price of the kit and "it comes with everything expect dies and components" sounds great...but reality is you need more than the kit...

like i said, upto you...i just didnt have a real use for much that came with the kit..
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by mauser06
you might still want to price things bought seperately...i had a buddy thats been reloading forever talk me outta the kit...

i spent more money than the kit..but got much better stuff and everything i have is VERY useful to me for handloading for rifles...

you really dont NEED a powder thrower for handloading accurate rifle loads...my buddy uses a small bowl and a table spoon to measure his...i dump mine from the can right onto my scale...i bought a PACT digital scale and love it...

bought RCBS digital caliper..

i dont think that kit comes with a case trimmer...i bought the RCBS pro kit...

i lube with imperial wax and use the RCBS lube and case neck brushes for inside the neck...read alot that the imperial is GOOD stuff and no messing with a pad and heavy lube leadign to dented cases..

i bought a LEE hand priming tool...cheap and works..

the speer manual would been alright to have around but im primarily shooting nosler bullets so i bought the nosler manual for referencing...

you'll need the Chamfer and deburring tool...powder funnel, loading block..

its upto you....but in the end i spent a little than the kit...but ended up with better stuff and everything i got is useful...

ebay is a good place to look and i ordered alot from Midsouth...i did alot of price checking and thats how i did it...

i couldnt do what i do without calipers and a case trimmer which that kit doesnt come with and thats about 200$ right there id say you NEED ontop of the kit...plus dies, shell holders, and your loading compenents..the scale is personal preference...i like my digital...as well as digital calipers..

also got primer pocket cleaners, flash hole deburring tool and pilot stops, and other random odds n ends the kit doesnt come with....

seems expensive to start...but once you do, you'll likely love it and be loading BETTER ammo at a lower price...for example, accubonds for my whelen run 50-55 a box...im loading them for about 20 a box...my 22-250 ammo is about 30$ a box...i can load for it for a fraction of that...and, my consistency is better than factory ammo...so my ammo is better and i can shoot more...

at first i thought my buddy was nuts as the price of the kit and "it comes with everything expect dies and components" sounds great...but reality is you need more than the kit...

like i said, upto you...i just didnt have a real use for much that came with the kit..
You think a digital scale is much better than a 505? You don't need a powder thrower? I think if I was you, I would smack your buddy in the head.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You think a digital scale is much better than a 505? You don't need a powder thrower? I think if I was you, I would smack your buddy in the head.
I would buy him a beer for helping. For rifle loads (not high volume shooting) you don't need a thrower. I normally use the RCBS Charge Master 1500 setup, and it is worth the price.
As to the question posed by the OP, I like to hand prime.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-12-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I would buy him a beer for helping. For rifle loads (not high volume shooting) you don't need a thrower. I normally use the RCBS Charge Master 1500 setup, and it is worth the price.
As to the question posed by the OP, I like to hand prime.
He didn't help. He gave him bum advise. Sure, any idiot can sit there and take a risk of dumping thier whole can or even pick out one kernal at a time. But anyone that has ever reloading for a while knows you can really speed up the operation with a thrower and trickler. I mean, you can get a thrower cheap for a few bucks. Save the money on the crap digital scale and get a thrower.

One second your saying buying a charge master is worth the money and next saying, no thrower or any type is needed, and he should be buying a beer. Maybe lay off those cases of beer while your reloading.

Last edited by bigcountry; 03-12-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've had an RCBS deluxe priming tool mounted on my bench, been using it 20 yeras or so.
RR

........Yeah. I've used the Rockchucker press priming setup, bought an RCBS APS Hand Primer, which personally I don't like at all, and finally got an RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. That thing is slicker than snot on a doorknob. It's all I'll use now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.