Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
........................................ >

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

$130 Press
$90 Scale
$85 Uniflow
$50 Hand primer

$355 Total

For a $300 kit that includes another manual (have a Lyman) and a few other odds and ends, not bad in my opinion. What doesn't get used can go on E-Bay.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

No chance on a digital scale. I'd rather rely on gravity than circuits.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

different strokes for different folks...and ive known you for a while BC...and i trust you and know you know your stuff or you wouldnt post it...

maybe im a fool for liking and trusting a digital scale...but it works for me so far..i do want a beam scale just to have to check once in a while..just for piece of mind.....

a thrower might be alright...ive never used one...im guilty of dumping mine out of the can...but using a dipper or a bowl and spoon would be a better option...

im still learnin as i go...and havent messed with anything i dont own yet....but for handloading for rifles that you want accuracy not bulk and speed from, my method seems to be workin...im not in it for speed..im in it for consistency...if it takes me an hour or 2 to load a box, thats fine by me..that box will be loaded very well..brass will be prepped very well..charge will be weighed out etc..a thrower would only work to throw a charge...and if it wasnt exact them im still stuck fixing the charge to get it exact..though id like a thrower for pistols and loading for my AR...i just dont see the need for one for handloading rifle loads..

but theres more than one way to skin a coon...and theres more than one way to load a case...
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by mauser06
different strokes for different folks...and ive known you for a while BC...and i trust you and know you know your stuff or you wouldnt post it...

maybe im a fool for liking and trusting a digital scale...but it works for me so far..i do want a beam scale just to have to check once in a while..just for piece of mind.....

a thrower might be alright...ive never used one...im guilty of dumping mine out of the can...but using a dipper or a bowl and spoon would be a better option...

im still learnin as i go...and havent messed with anything i dont own yet....but for handloading for rifles that you want accuracy not bulk and speed from, my method seems to be workin...im not in it for speed..im in it for consistency...if it takes me an hour or 2 to load a box, thats fine by me..that box will be loaded very well..brass will be prepped very well..charge will be weighed out etc..a thrower would only work to throw a charge...and if it wasnt exact them im still stuck fixing the charge to get it exact..though id like a thrower for pistols and loading for my AR...i just dont see the need for one for handloading rifle loads..

but theres more than one way to skin a coon...and theres more than one way to load a case...
I too would love to have a decent scale. I own a RCBS digital and a frankfort arsonel. Works good as long as on batteries. My reloading room is near my dryer. So when any electromagnetic motors or high current runs, I get lies. Scares me to death. Maybe not for rifle, as you are usually 90% load density, but loading up pistol rounds can be scary.

Sorry if i came off rough.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
One second your saying buying a charge master is worth the money and next saying, no thrower or any type is needed, and he should be buying a beer. Maybe lay off those cases of beer while your reloading.
I do not understand your comment about the Charge Master, but I do understand the slur about drinking while reloading. I am saying that a Charge Master does a fine job for rifle reloading, and for that task a thrower is not needed (it speeds things up - but it is not needed).
I do not drink while reloading, nor have I ever made any comment that any reasonable person could infer that I do.
This board is getting out of control with people that are certain that they are right about all matters, and are offensive to anyone else that has an opinion.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I do not understand your comment about the Charge Master, but I do understand the slur about drinking while reloading. I am saying that a Charge Master does a fine job for rifle reloading, and for that task a thrower is not needed (it speeds things up - but it is not needed).
I do not drink while reloading, nor have I ever made any comment that any reasonable person could infer that I do.
This board is getting out of control with people that are certain that they are right about all matters, and are offensive to anyone else that has an opinion.
There there BU, it will be ok. We might need some dramatic voilin music playing in the background here.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hear ya on the scale BC...the digital jobs (well my PACT atleast) is a sensitive bugger...if the TV is on much louder than barely audible, its throwing the scale off...if i turn the heater on in the basement, the scale is off...if someone walks within 10ft of me on a REALLY soft floor with concrete under the carpet, its off...if the cat walks near the scale, its off...if i move my hand down fast like im going to smash it, its off...

gotta realize all the when running one i guess...

took a little getting used to...but i keep an eye on it and check my charged cases for any that "look funny" and every couple charges i'll throw a check weight on just to check it...cant hurt to check things...

i just cant see a measurer/thrower throwing precise charges...if its off at all, its gunna be just as quick for me to throw a spoonful on the scale then use my trickler to finish it off...i just couldnt see spending almost 100$ for something to do what i can do without it...but, thats when i want precision...when i want bulk and am not worried about tenths of a grain, a thrower might be the way to go for pistol and my AR loadings...

im about as new to handloading as you can get..i didnt blow myself up with my first 50rds though...im just hear to learn...and i know reloading is like anything else...lots of different ways to end up with the same final product...
Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by mauser06
i just cant see a measurer/thrower throwing precise charges...if its off at all, its gunna be just as quick for me to throw a spoonful on the scale then use my trickler to finish it off...
All true, you don't need a thrower persa, but a thrower will always throw within 0.2-.5gr. Depending on the powder. For H110, it will throw within 0.2gr. I have done the opposite of you. I have always owned a thrower, and never have put a powder charge in without it at my house. I was at Mossyoak33's (Charlie) house and he was using a little camera film case with powder and it seem to take a long time. In fact tedious. Took forever.

You can find a lee powder measurer for 20 dollars regularly on bay. The lee actually work well. Briman on here thinks its better than RCBS. I also suggest people gets a trickler. Again, you can get em for less than 10 dollars on ebay. I didn't use one for years, and glad when I finally got one.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I installed a micrometer on my RCBS powder measure and it throws within .1-.3 once i get it locked it in.
It definitely depends on the powder being used but Varget and Tight Group work well in it.
For those last couple tenths I use an RCBS trickler.
I'm glad I have all three pieces (powder measure w/ micrometer and the trickler)