Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Moly-Coating

Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cackalaky
Posts: 124
Default

Is is a matter of just treating the bullets or barrel or both?
Cut'em Jack is offline  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
  #12  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack View Post
Is is a matter of just treating the bullets or barrel or both?
You can do just the bullets and clean out the moly every shooting session, but velocity will fluctate some for the first 10 rounds. And I am not convinced that pressure won't too.

Only way I saw to get a real velocity increase was to pretreat a prestine clean barrel, and don't clean out the moly. Just run a bore snake out and get out most of the powder fouling.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 PM
  #13  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurels View Post
I can't see why so many people abandoned it so quickly
For me, it was a few reasons. It went across the grain (my cleaning upbringing) of leaving a barrel fouled without removing all fouling to get the true benefit. I was always worried about pitting. Second, it took alot of prep of the barrel and several rounds to get back the velocity and accuracy I was. Lastly, I had a few instances where I saw huge pressure signs out of no where. It took some discipline to get the benefits out of it. Little mental notekeeping to remember the condition of the barrel I left it at.
 
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 AM
  #14  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 159
Default

I have a factory 22/250 700 VS that I use in field and at benchrest groundhog matches..the rifle after much tweeking and experimenting is shooting about .400 groups all day long with 50 grain v-max moly.. Going from the field to the bench is usually difficult for most rifles and guys...hitting a hog at 300 yards and shooting at the 10X ring of a target under competitive situations is extreme..but it still shoots the same and I hardly ever clean it..maybe in July of each summer and yes it black, blacker than coal but there is zero copper fouling.. I've had it cronied and it's shooting around 3500 with a mild charge of IMR-4064..but it shows no affects or effects from shooting well over 3000 rounds of molied bullets and velocity seems to never be affected in any way.. I think alot more people should give it an honest shake..DON'T clean it for awhile and see how it does, all that black will fill the little marks in and it'll be the same point of impact regardless of how m any shots you send..
Frank in the Laurel is offline  
Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 AM
  #15  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

See if I had a gun I regularly used like that, I might consider it. I have 32 longguns. And don't have a gun I shoot a whole lot like that. I might shoot my 204 a lot these days. But it doesn't foul much.

But I go thru spells where I want to test a batch of .308 bullets in my 300win mag, and shoot that for a few months. Then got thru another spell where I might shoot my STW for a few months, on and on.

Maybe your right, its just in my head about the black fouling that comes out.

Its been 5 years since I used it. Still got the NECO stuff.


Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel View Post
I have a factory 22/250 700 VS that I use in field and at benchrest groundhog matches..the rifle after much tweeking and experimenting is shooting about .400 groups all day long with 50 grain v-max moly.. Going from the field to the bench is usually difficult for most rifles and guys...hitting a hog at 300 yards and shooting at the 10X ring of a target under competitive situations is extreme..but it still shoots the same and I hardly ever clean it..maybe in July of each summer and yes it black, blacker than coal but there is zero copper fouling.. I've had it cronied and it's shooting around 3500 with a mild charge of IMR-4064..but it shows no affects or effects from shooting well over 3000 rounds of molied bullets and velocity seems to never be affected in any way.. I think alot more people should give it an honest shake..DON'T clean it for awhile and see how it does, all that black will fill the little marks in and it'll be the same point of impact regardless of how m any shots you send..
 
Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM
  #16  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 260
Default

My biggest problem with it is, when it get wet, it chemically attacks steel. At least certain types of steel. I didn't know it was hygroscopic.

See Varmint Al's pages.

I have tried it. It is pretty easy to apply if you have a vibratory tumbler.
Prairie Wolf is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 AM
  #17  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesX.308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Audubon & Red Rock, Penna.
Posts: 4,472
Default

I know Barnes dropped their coated bullets (XLCs). Did Winchester drop there's? The FailSafes (formerly Black Talons)?
BarnesX.308 is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
  #18  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 260
Default

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 View Post
I know Barnes dropped their coated bullets (XLCs). Did Winchester drop there's? The FailSafes (formerly Black Talons)?
They dropped the Failsafes for other reasons.

They still use the coating. It is called lubalox and it isn't moly anyway.

I don't think the XLC was moly either.
Prairie Wolf is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
  #19  
Fork Horn
 
SGT.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 149
Default

What is the difference in Lubalox vs. Moly?
SGT.H is offline  
Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesX.308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Audubon & Red Rock, Penna.
Posts: 4,472
Default

I don't think the XLC was moly either.
I thought it was. I'll have to check the old manual and see what it was.

I liked them and they shot well out of my rifles. But the Triple Shocks are even better so that's what I've been using since they came out.
BarnesX.308 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.