Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Number of times before a KaBOOM occurs? >

Number of times before a KaBOOM occurs?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Number of times before a KaBOOM occurs?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Number of times before a KaBOOM occurs?

With the KaBOOM issue and weakened brass, how many times can you reload a cartridge and safely use it in a Glock? How does this differ from semi-auto's in general? I am begining to wonder if the risk is worth the "savings." Maybe it's time to purchase a new non-Glock handgun. I did not see this topic addressed in my Google research. Maybe I missed it. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was wondering the same thing. From what I was told one reload is to many. I was told not to do it or buy a new gun or barrel. Something about the barrel no fulling supporting the casing
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 AM
bigcountry

Depends, on how hot your load is, brass brand, and just shear chance. There is not scientific formula or anything specific. brass gets fatigued.

I have +P starline brass and load moderate for my Model 21. I feel safe to 5 times. Thats probably overkill. Makes more sense IMO to buy a bar sto, Jarvis, Wilson Combat or even loan Wolf (but don't know anything about them)

Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

No way to know until it happens... and when it happens, it'll only happen once. Oh, and if you do blow up a Glock with reloads, don't bother sending it back because Glock won't touch it. You'd think that with how common KB's are that Glock would have addressed this issue. If BarSto and Wilson Combat can make barrels with supported chambers that are still reliable, so can Glock.

All I know is that my XD, which replaced my Glock 21, has a supported chamber and standard rifling, and I'm not getting rid of it. IMO it's a better handgun than any of the Glocks.

Mike
Old 12-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I had known of this issue when I bought my 21 I would have went with the XD no one said anything to me. Guess I should have asked about the reloading and such then. Atleast it is a reason to buy another pistol
Originally Posted by driftrider
No way to know until it happens... and when it happens, it'll only happen once. Oh, and if you do blow up a Glock with reloads, don't bother sending it back because Glock won't touch it. You'd think that with how common KB's are that Glock would have addressed this issue. If BarSto and Wilson Combat can make barrels with supported chambers that are still reliable, so can Glock.

All I know is that my XD, which replaced my Glock 21, has a supported chamber and standard rifling, and I'm not getting rid of it. IMO it's a better handgun than any of the Glocks.

Mike
Old 12-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

will this fix the support issue. Is there anything that needs to be done to the barrel or glock when dropping it in the 21.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=963
Old 12-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .40 is probably the most sensitive of the Glock chamberings, and I do reload for my G23. However I reload mine FAR below pressures that any factory ammo would generate. For general plinking, this is fine. If I want to practice for self-defense, I use cheap factory ammo to simulate the recoil. Honestly, I can down-load the .40 significantly and while the chrono shows the velocity decrease I don't necessarily notice a huge change in felt recoil...but I'm sure it's a lot safer.

I lose about 30-40% of my brass each time I shoot due to it being a personal grass range. I'm sure I lose most cases before they get past 3-4 reloadings. I think I'd toss them at 6-7 if I thought I was keeping them that long.

If it was a 45 or a 9mm, I'm not sure I'd bother tossing them before I ever lost them.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Down-load the .40 significantly . . .

Originally Posted by spaniel
The .40 is probably the most sensitive of the Glock chamberings, and I do reload for my G23. However I reload mine FAR below pressures that any factory ammo would generate. For general plinking, this is fine. If I want to practice for self-defense, I use cheap factory ammo to simulate the recoil. Honestly, I can down-load the .40 significantly and while the chrono shows the velocity decrease I don't necessarily notice a huge change in felt recoil...but I'm sure it's a lot safer.

I lose about 30-40% of my brass each time I shoot due to it being a personal grass range. I'm sure I lose most cases before they get past 3-4 reloadings. I think I'd toss them at 6-7 if I thought I was keeping them that long.

If it was a 45 or a 9mm, I'm not sure I'd bother tossing them before I ever lost them.

How low can you go (below factory pressures) without risking a squibb load?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vadeer
How low can you go (below factory pressures) without risking a squibb load?
Quite far. I just stay near recommended STARTING loads.