Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
what can a reload failure cost. >

what can a reload failure cost.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what can a reload failure cost.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what can a reload failure cost.

I have a nice glock going to get a 308 ar this spring. I want to reload both the 45 and the 308. PRice on the setup and per round seems great. The only issue I have now is the issue of what will happen to my expencive guns if i reload something wrong or a case has been fired to much. I would hate to trash my glock or Ar because of a little screw up. besides a loading mistake what are the chances of a bad failure in the glock 21 or an Ar in 308
Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reloading isn't rocket science, but it does demand attention to detail, due diligence, and your complete attention.

There are plenty of references out there that will near guarantee that you won't experience the problems you mention - PROVIDED that you read and abide by them. Most of the problems I see people experience as a result of reloading are due to ignoring the glaring "caution" notes in the data manuals, "making up" loads with unsuitable propellants, trying to eke another 500 fps out of load that's already flattening primers, failing to read the instructions provided for their equipment (I still read mine nearly every setup - just to be sure).

Just about anyone who can read and follow directions will otherwise enjoy years of trouble-free reloading.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM
bigcountry

I quit loading for my glock21 until I get a bar sto or wilson fully supported barrel. AFter what I seen a few weeks ago, its just not worth it. If you didn't know, Glock 20 series are not reloader friendly. Espeically hot loads.

I was loading 8.6gr of HS-6 with 230gr XTP. Shot well. Had some bulging in the unsupported area.

Just go to youtube and look up Glock kaboom.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

At best you'll have a missfire, at worst you could destroy your gun, injure, mame or kill yourself and or bystanders. The same thing could happen with factory ammo too.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you pay attention to what you're doing you should never have any problems. The key is to handload with no distractions so you can focus on completing each step and can identify and correct any problems before they escalate. If you're distracted, eventually you'll make a mistake you won't notice until something bad happens. As a beginner, I would strongly caution against starting on a progressive press. They are too complicated and have too much going on at once for the beginner. A single stage press is cheaper and allows you to focus on one step at a time (called batch processing).

I would also caution you against handloading for your Glock 21. Glocks have unsupported chambers, which even with properly loaded handloads can easily experience ruptured cases (the infamous Glock KaBOOM). This happens because brass fired repeatedly in the unsupported chamber gets weaker with each firing. Glocks also don't handle overcharges vary well, and the 45ACP is a big case that can be easily double charged without overflowing the case.

Handloading for the AR isn't a problem, though you will need to full length resize the cases every time for reliable functioning. You might also have to get a small base sizing die if the standard die doesn't allow reliable chambering.

Mike
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I have a nice glock going to get a 308 ar this spring. I want to reload both the 45 and the 308. PRice on the setup and per round seems great. The only issue I have now is the issue of what will happen to my expencive guns if i reload something wrong or a case has been fired to much. I would hate to trash my glock or Ar because of a little screw up. besides a loading mistake what are the chances of a bad failure in the glock 21 or an Ar in 308

It can cost you your life.

Actually reloading mistakes are far less a problem than gun handling mistakes. 1000 to 1

Pay attention, use only published load data, follow instructions and it won't be a problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Anything can happen, last year at the range a guy next to me blew his marlin 1895 45/70 to smitherines. He was a long time reloader shooting light loads he said. Fortunatley I was looking straight at him when it blew, had my head been looking at my target I would have likely gotten splinters and shrapnel in my eye. The gun was a total loss, the magazine tube sheered off just in front of the reciever, the forarm disintigrated into hundreds of pieces some found over 50 feet away (they had flown right past my head) the reciever side plate peeled back from the right side from the barrel back past the loading gate, the barrel ruptured on the right side and the one side peeled forward from the reciever a foot folding back upon its self. Fortunatley no one got more than a scratch but the gun was destroyed. Not sure just what happened, the guy said he had been realoading for years and considred himself to be cautious. It could have just as well happened with factory loads too. Be safe, double even tripple check your work and as mentioned above, don't let yourself get distracted. Reloading can be fun and rewarding, tedious and borring too.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

i had accidently bought some re-loads from the fireing range, and the 1st one exploded in my glock, felt like a m-80 went off in my hand, had to dig the sucker out, looked at the whole box to see it was mix matched and went in for a refund. never shot a reload in it since.

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I quit loading for my glock21 until I get a bar sto or wilson fully supported barrel. AFter what I seen a few weeks ago, its just not worth it. If you didn't know, Glock 20 series are not reloader friendly. Espeically hot loads.

I was loading 8.6gr of HS-6 with 230gr XTP. Shot well. Had some bulging in the unsupported area.

Just go to youtube and look up Glock kaboom.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're so concerned as to your ability to reload as to start multiple threads about it, perhaps this is a sign that you should be sticking to factory ammo until you learn what you are doing.