Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Kit Recommendations for a Newbee. >

Reloading Kit Recommendations for a Newbee.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Kit Recommendations for a Newbee.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Reloading Kit Recommendations for a Newbee.

I plan to begin reloading and want to get started on the right foot. I plan to reload both handgun and rifle ammo, for range use. A single stage is fine for my current needs. I’ve been researching kits and narrowed it down to the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit ($105), RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit ($280), to the Hornady® Lock-N-Load Classic™ Reloading Kit ($350). Each seem to offer something that the others does not (i.e., manual, hand primer, etc.) andI know I'll need to supplement all of the kits. Any ideas on the best value way to get started? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have been very pleased with my LEE challenger kit.
The LEE quick change bushing are great also, they make switching dies a snap.
I added the auto prime to the challenger press ; much nicer press priming than priming by hand ,the attachment cost $20.
Other than that I havn't added anything besides the dies , tumbler and a Lyman book.
If you check on ebay there is a store called "reloaderschoice" ; best prices and quick shipping , he is a US soldier to boot.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The hornady kit is very good.
They are running a deal that you get free bullets with a purchase.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a big fan of everything RCBS. I love my Rock Chucker II single stage.
They have excellent customer service too.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

RCBS Supreme Master Kit. Comes with the Rockchucker press (which is excellent) and most of the stuuf you need to get started. It's what I started on and all the stuff that came with the kit is still good as new.

Mike
Old 12-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

My dos centavos is for the RCBS....I've been loading 50+ years and have never had a problem with them in any way!
Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is of interest to me as I really want a reloading kit myself. I'm getting ready to order one soon. In the next day or two hopefully. I've been looking at the RCBS and the Lee kits. I understand the RCBS seems to be preferred but is it worth the extra $180 or so over the Lee kit? That's a lot of dies I can buy for that price. I'm not looking to do 1000's of bullets a week but I want something decent at the same time.

If I order the Lee kit which dies will fit it? Or will any Lee dies work? If I get the kit and the dies for the caliber I want to reload is that all I will need? Or will I need other stuff also?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could not be happier with my RCBS Master Supreme reloading kit. They sure have gone up in price over the last 10-years.

RCBS will last you a lifetime. IMHO This is money well invested.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0018937214924a

BTW that doesn't appear to have the Rock Chucker press. Is there another kit I should find from them or what?

Also other than dies what else will I need to reload for a semi auto 30-06 and a 9mm pistol as well as maybe a 243 rifle? Do I just get dies for each or do I need other stuff?

I was hoping to get setup for $300 or so but if I get this and the dies and everything and a tumbler like I want I will be way way over $300.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I found that kit. Is that the one to get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.