Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Rifle primers in pistol loads??? >

Rifle primers in pistol loads???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Rifle primers in pistol loads???

Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rifle primers in pistol loads???

With the great primer famine upon us, I find my supply of large pistol magnum primers down to less than 50. But I have a fair supply of large rifle standard primers.

Wondering if anyone has used the rifle primers in pistol loads for 44 mag? The rifle primers may be hotter than large pistol mag primers so it would be prudent to reduce powder charges. And I think the metal cup on the riffle primers may be some what thiker than the pistol primers. I have read of people using rifle primers in the extra high preasure cartidges such as the 454 Casull.

Any comments???
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default primer

Rifle primers use a harder cup than pistol primers and may not function when struck by a pistol firing pin. They generally have more priming compound and, thus, will raise pressure. Rifle primers, also, are of a different depth/height than pistol primers, about 0.008" taller. They will seat in the primer pocket but may protrude enough to prevent a revolver cylinder from turning or possibly cause a slamfire in an automatic (less likely, but possible).
I was loading up a batch of mixed brass for the 500 S&W some time ago. As it turned out, some of the brass had primer pockets for large pistol primers and some were for large rifle primers. I was using large rifle - loaded them all. The one that were "cross-primed" would not allow the cylinder to turn. Realizing the problem, I had to dismantle the cartridges.

Info from http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...ics/primer.cfm

The two predominate sizes of primers in use today fall into the basic categories of “small” and “large.” These may be further defined as being either rifle or pistol primers. Differences between the two include priming composition mixture, cup thickness and sensitivity, and very slight dimensional discrepancies in height. Within these sub-categories, the primers are defined still further, as standard, magnum, and in rifles, benchrest primers. Distinctions between these types vary from brand to brand, but most relate to composition mixtures, intensity and quality control standards during production. Diameters of the two sizes are .175" for the small rifle and pistol, and .210" for the large rifle and pistol, respectively. With so many different sizes and types available, how does the reloader know which type is appropriate for a given application? The following paragraphs will serve as a general guide for primer selection. In addition, the specific size, brand and type of primer used in our data development is listed under the Test Components heading for each cartridge in this manual.
Pete
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't risk it. If it waises pressures, could be dangerous.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Glad I asked first. I was unaware of the depth difference. So it's back to the search for primers. Awfull slim pickins out there right now.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

You'll never get a straight answer.
Long ago, I was told you could go "rifle in pistol" if you back off the load some, but never "pistol in rifle".
Supposedly because in some rifles, especially auto loaders, the "softer"
pistol primer may fire as the round is slammed in the chamber.
I am not endorsing this statement, but do know the fellow well enough to know he had done it for years.
I personally have shot hundreds of his .357s, that were small rifle primed, without a glitch. They were reloads I got in a horse trade. Didn't find out all this until later.
Thats one problem with shooting someone elses reloads, yet it did tell me
it worked.

As far as factory,

I have several boxes of factory 30carbine.
I have a .30carbine revolver and rifle.
They shoot fine in both.
I can only assume it is rifle primed, since it was a rifle cartridge orignally
, yet it always goes boom in my revolver.
When I reload this brass, am I supposed to load some for pistol and some for rifle?

I shoot lots of factory 44mag in revolvers and rifles.
All rounds shoot fine in both.
I can only assume, the various 44mags, are pistol primed, as its a handgun cartridge
originally, yet work fine in auto and lever rifles.
When I reload these, I don't plan on using anything other than large pistol.
They'll do just fine in my rifles, I know.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 11-06-2009 at 04:30 PM.