Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
reloading .243 win >

reloading .243 win

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading .243 win

Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

Default reloading .243 win

new to group and was just wondering if anyone has reloaded the Hornady A-max 105 grn. moly coated silver tip BT. If so with what results. I am new to reloading and was wondering if this would be a good round for whitetale.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

My favorite load for deer with the .243 is IMR 4064 and Sierra 85gr. BTHP,99% of the deer shot with a lung shot just drop...
Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

wish i could say that , every time i used a 243 i had to go looking for the deer .............except for one that i accidentally shot in the head
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A-Max isn't designed as a hunting bullet, rather as a match bullet. Thus, the jacket profile isn't necessarily what you'd want for hunting big game.

You shouldn't have any problems with a .243 on whitetails. I've used it for years on them, as well as on muleys, goats, and two elk - all with cheep factory ammo.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Spike

thanks for the input guys. I generally shot 100 grain factory loads from Win or Rem. Just trying to get into this reloading thing and just wanted to get the most for my money.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

..........Wow...........
Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Spike

My wife uses a .243 for deer. She has also used it for Caribou. Most time, deer/caribou drop in their tracks or nearby. We have never reloaded them, but if we did we would use Sierra 100gr hunting rounds such as these: http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.c...0&bullettype=0

My initial test results with 30.06 and 300 Wby Mag indicated that Hornady bullets copper jacket is too thin and fragments on impact. The bullet works better if it retains wieght rather than comes apart. Sierra bullets seem to stay together better.