Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Problem with 270WSM case expansion >

Problem with 270WSM case expansion

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Problem with 270WSM case expansion

Old 05-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Default Problem with 270WSM case expansion

I recently ran through all of my factory loads and handloads with new brass. After resizing and loading some of the once fired cases, none of them will chamber in my rifle. I' m shooting the WIN mod 70 ultimate shadow. It turns out that after being fired the back of the case is expanding apprx .005 . I' ve tried resizing several times and I can' t get rid of the bulge. Has anybody experienced this?
Old 05-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Problem with 270WSM case expansion

I have a browning in 270 wsm and I didn' t have a mike but with a caliper I got .549 on a unfired new case ( right at the rim).554 on a fired case and .553 on a resized case from my RCBS die.
Have never had a problem with chambering and have problely shot around 200 reloads.
Are you screwing the die all the way down till it touches the shell holder?
Old 05-17-2003, 08:19 PM

Duckbill,

I would take a look at the case length if I were you. I have a 22/250 that you MUST trim the cases after the first firing. If I were a bettin man that’s where I’d bet your trouble is.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check your die adjustment like Herman said. Do the once fired cases (fire formed cases) chamber with no problem? If they do, somthing may be wrong with the die. Get a hold of the die manufacture. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have tried every possible die adjustment, to no availe. I contacted Hornady and they told me to send them the die and a few cases. All cases were trimmed. The die just seems to be too shallow and not allow the case to be resized all the way. Herman, thanks for the measurements. They match mine and I assume that' s normal. I think I' m going to send the die in. The folks at Hornady were very helpful on the phone. I have never experienced this sort of problem before with any cartridge. Of course the short mags are sort of new, so there may be some bugs to work out.
Thanks again for the replies
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM

Since none of these cases will chamber in your rifle after sizing, you are doing something to them with the die that prevents chambering. If your expander ball is sticking on the way out, you might be pulling the shoulder forward as the neck is being expanded. Other than that, case length could be the problem but thats pretty rare to find a case that stretches that much on one resizing. Take a resized case and smoke it up one side with a candle and try to chamber it. Then maybe you can see where its too big. Or if your expander is sticking, just lube the inside of a case neck and size one and try that. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:38 AM

Larry,
I understand what your saying. However, after a case has been fired, it has a bulge about 1/8" up from the head. That case will not rechamber. I put black marker on the cases to make sure of the catch point and that is it. When I run the case thru my resize die, it will only size it to this ridge. The shellhoder is bottomed out.
BUT, last night I tried something. After resizing once, I removed the expander/deprimer pin, re-lubed, set the die well below cam-over and ran a few cases thru it. I was able to get a little farther down the case that way. These cases would chamber. This is good, but a lot of extra work and obviously shouldn' t be necessary.
Any thoughts on this?.....Thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 08:27 AM

I have seen at least one die that wouldnt size far enough down the case to work. I fixed it by turning about .oo5" off the bottom of the die. You can do the same thing by sanding the top of the shellholder on a flat surface. I suggested this on here once before and several people freaked out, but if you think about it, all you need to do after altering the length of the die or the shellholder is to re-adjust your sizer. If in fact thats the problem, and I think it is, your die isnt going far enough now, so shortening it will move it up and into the proper position to size the entire case.

Quick Reply: Problem with 270WSM case expansion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.