Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Wow...hornady's are dissapointing... >

Wow...hornady's are dissapointing...

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Wow...hornady's are dissapointing...

Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wow...hornady's are dissapointing...

Well I was doing some loading yesterday and decided to weigh some bullets for the heck of it. Started with 130gr .270 Bergers and they were all within .2 grains...then checked some 160 7mm Accubonds and they are within .3 grains...then came the 87gr 6mm V-max's. The first one I put on the scale weighed 88 grains!! A full grain off!! So I continued weighing them and not one was 87grs...or even close...they were all between 87.6 and 88. Not really a big deal to me, since its only for fireforming, but I would've hoped they would be a little better then that!!

Anyone else run into that?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

NOPE, been shooting hornady bullets for 25 yrs and i have never seen that.

90% of the bullets i shoot are hornady
Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Spike

I have handloaded since 79 the first box of bullets I bought were Hormady
30 cal 150 spitzer and last year I shot 2 deer with 154 grain 7 mm Hormady I have used most of the popular brands and found that you find a few that may not weigh exactly the same but they will be very close………….how accurate is your scale have you checked it is it free of dirt and dust is it level
Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Well I was doing some loading yesterday and decided to weigh some bullets for the heck of it. Started with 130gr .270 Bergers and they were all within .2 grains...then checked some 160 7mm Accubonds and they are within .3 grains...then came the 87gr 6mm V-max's. The first one I put on the scale weighed 88 grains!! A full grain off!! So I continued weighing them and not one was 87grs...or even close...they were all between 87.6 and 88. Not really a big deal to me, since its only for fireforming, but I would've hoped they would be a little better then that!!

So all the bullets were within a 0.4 grain spread? That's not too bad. They might not precisely match the advertised weight on the box, but they are fairly consistent, which is the most important thing for accuracy. I'd shoot them before you make your final judgement.

Mike
Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by driftrider
So all the bullets were within a 0.4 grain spread? That's not too bad. They might not precisely match the advertised weight on the box, but they are fairly consistent, which is the most important thing for accuracy. I'd shoot them before you make your final judgement.

Mike
That's true but they were suppose to be 87gr...I'm sure they will shoot fine for a fireform load.

Yep, the scale was fine...the Bergers and Noslers were right on.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

That's a full .3%
I think you need to put them in a box, and send them to me for "disposal"
Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should see the variance I get from speer sp bt 180gr. I don't know why but even though they show the most weight variance my rifle likes them the best. Strange thing this reloading is.

I shot a 1/4" three shot group yesterday with them. Doesn't happen everyday but usually under 1/2". If I try to shoot an accubond of the same weight the best I can do is 1 1/4". I'm not sure why but it is what it is.

BTW - This is a Ruger in 300WM.

Tom
Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't consider that 0.4-grain variation to be significant.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by eldeguello
I don't consider that 0.4-grain variation to be significant.
Neither do I...but they were suppose to be 87gr not 88gr...anyway, doesn't matter, they are solid 1/2" shooters...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neither do I...but they were suppose to be 87gr not 88gr...anyway, doesn't matter, they are solid 1/2" shooters...

I've tried and tried to get the 87 gr. V-Max's to shoot out of my 243 AI. Not much luck. 1/2' is the best they would do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.