Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
How many rounds do you load for test loads? >

How many rounds do you load for test loads?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How many rounds do you load for test loads?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Spike

Default How many rounds do you load for test loads?

I'm wondering how many rounds I should load for loads. Thinking I would do 10 for each load. What do ya'll say?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
bigcountry

I usually make two trips to the range to find a load for a rifle. 1st trip, I load 6 of each load plus two fouler shots. That way, I try to find promise in a load. I shoot one group at 100 yards, then another shot of 3 at 200 yards for each load. I then will take the two best loads and load up 12 of each and go back the the range shooting mostly at 200-300 yards. I myself find it hard to keep my concentration for more than 40 shots at a sitting. Espeically for anything kicking harder than say a 450 marlin or 300win mag.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually find my max load and reduce 10%, use that as a starting point. Load 5 rds each at 1/2 gr increments, I'll shoot 1 fouler, a five shot group and then clean the bore. I take the most promising load from that and work it in .2 gr increments to either side of the previous best load. So all total I usually have loaded around 60 rds to fine my load then start to fine tune with seating depth starting at SAAMI Spec and work my way out to about 20/30 thousand'ths off the lands while ensuring that it will fit in the magazine. So at that point about 75 all total.

Last edited by thndrchiken; 07-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 rounds and thats about it. I'll know in three rounds if this is going to work for me. In fact these days I pretty much don't experiement that much any more. I have proven loads for everything i shoot and stick with those. With the current situation with primers and powder availibility I have to be flexible but not wasteful.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I usually make two trips to the range to find a load for a rifle. 1st trip, I load 6 of each load plus two fouler shots. That way, I try to find promise in a load. I shoot one group at 100 yards, then another shot of 3 at 200 yards for each load. I then will take the two best loads and load up 12 of each and go back the the range shooting mostly at 200-300 yards. I myself find it hard to keep my concentration for more than 40 shots at a sitting. Espeically for anything kicking harder than say a 450 marlin or 300win mag.
I do essentially the same thing. Except for my first batch I load five at each charge increment level. My first test group is shot at 100 yards. My current range only goes to two hundred yards.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm fortunate, I can shoot at home, so I just load 3 at a time. I shoot at 100 yds. Once I get good 100 yd. groups, I only have to travel 1 mile down the road to my neighbors house, and I can stretch them out too 200, and 300 yds.