Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

1911 dilemma

Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Default 1911 dilemma

I have a Springfield 1911 A1-stock I believe-but the case says target. Bought it new in 04 but have not done a whole lot of shooting with it until this last year or so. I cannot get it to group for squat at 25 yds. Loaded some low end with Bullseye, 231 and Unique behind 185HP and 230 FMJ and these do ok (3-4") at 15 or so but open wide at 25. Same result with low to mid range loads with Blue Dot. Have shot Am. Eagle, Win and UMC factory 230 FMJ and these are pretty much the same. My main question is--am I wasting my time trying to get a stock barrel 1911 to group at 25 yds? Any and all responses are appreciated. Thanks much.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of groups are you expecting, It is a pistol and the biggest factor is you not the gun.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the problem is noat due to the barrel. M1911's aree pretty loose. Some will not group until the slide and barrel are tightened up. How does it shoot with factory ammo?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM

Default 1911 dilemma

I don't really expect anything, but would like a group of some kind. Up to now, everything I have thrown has peppered a
8 1/2" X 11" sheet at 25 yds. Factory ammo as well as my reloads group (or don't group-as the case is) at 25. Need to close the gap to 15 +/- to see any consistancy at all. Most loads, including factory ammo, do ok then. Some better tant others. I believe that 99.9% of the guns out there are more accurate than the guy behind them. I am not the best shot in the world but this is the first one I have not been able to shoot with some kind of consistancy--my first 1911 also. If 15 yds is what they need to be shot at, so be it. Just wanted to know if what I am seeing is normal from a 1911.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

As was stated, most 1911s are not fitted very tight right out of the box and it takes some $$ to put the high end parts on them and only you can say if it is worth it for you to spend the cash and realize a fairly small return on investment.
Practice, practice, practice. Remember that in most circles, 21 feet or 7 yards is considered to be average self defense range. I'm pretty new to IDPA (international defense pistol association) shoots, but in the two that I have done, we have not gone beyond 20 yards yet.

On another note, I bought a Kimber .22 conversion kit that fits my 1911 and man is it fun to shoot. Same frame, so same feel in the hand, but much less expensive to blow through a bunch of .22 vs. a bunch of .45.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Thumbs up 1911 dilemma

I kinda figured that when I hear/read about these great groups from a 45 there is some type of customization behind it. As for now I will be content with what I have and practice, practice, practice. Beside, none of the ranges around here have benches set up closer than 25 yds so it will force me to shoot standing, which I need more of anyway.

Thanks for reading and the help.