Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .257 Weatherby Magnum. >

.257 Weatherby Magnum.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.257 Weatherby Magnum.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .257 Weatherby Magnum.

Mike - Thanks for the info. It looks like you've got a shooter. I hope mine does as well. I haven't been able to find brass either, but I did finally find some Wby factory loads in stock that I was able to order. Now I am anxiously awaiting the UPS man so that I can try out my new toy. I've got reloading dies, 215M primers, 100 gr Nosler BTs, and 2 lbs. of H1000 to play with after I "empty" the factory stuff. I can hardly wait.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Keep us posted...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RuRu12

Mike - Thanks for the info. It looks like you've got a shooter. I hope mine does as well. I haven't been able to find brass either, but I did finally find some Wby factory loads in stock that I was able to order. Now I am anxiously awaiting the UPS man so that I can try out my new toy. I've got reloading dies, 215M primers, 100 gr Nosler BTs, and 2 lbs. of H1000 to play with after I "empty" the factory stuff. I can hardly wait.
If you can't find .257 Weatherby brass (I couldn't either, everyone was sold out), try to find some .270 Wby brass and then neck it down. The difference is not that great so all you need to do it run the 270 Wby brass through the your 257 Wby FL die and out comes ready to load 257 Wby brass, no fireforming required. Just make sure you use a good lube on the necks like Imperial Sizing lube. A little swipe on the neck and shoulder of each case will keep the from getting crushed when the get necked down. Also, make sure to check the case length afterward because necking down will make them grow a little. Mine were ok, but your results may vary. You can also make .257 Wby brass out of 7mm Rem Mag brass, but it requires fireforming and the necks are a little short compared to Wby brass (which is ok), and accuracy is actually very good just with fireform loads considering the brass costs a fraction what true Weatherby brass costs.

Another suggestion I might make is to consider ditching the Nosler BT's for a somewhat tougher bullet. Your 257 Wby, with a 26" tube and loaded to it's potential with H-1000, will easily spit out a 100gr BT at an honest 3500+ fps. I, personally, don't feel that the BT's are anywhere near tough enough to be a good big game bullet at those speeds if the animal is under 200 yards away. You'll kill them if you put it through the ribs for sure, but I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that enough of that bullet will make it through the muscle and bone of a should shot to get a clean kill. My hunting load will consist of 100 gr Barnes T-TSX BT's, which I KNOW will instantly expand but still hold together and penetrate no matter what parts of the deer it has to go through. I'm also might try out the 110 gr Accubond if I get a second late season doe tag if they shoot ok in my rifle. I'd like to compare the results from the bonded lead bullet versus the all copper TSX.

Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I may try the Barnes TTSX or the Accubonds if I can find them. I've even thought about trying the Berger VLDs. The really tough thing right now is finding someone that has any bullets in stock,and the high end bullets seem to be the toughest to find.

Has anyone tried the 80 gr TTSX yet? Weatherby is claiming 3870 fps with their factory load.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Use 7mm Rem mag brass and either IMR 4831,H-4831 or RE#22 and 100gr bullets................Harold

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get my highest velocitys with IMR 7828, with excellent accuracy. I am experimenting with Reloader 22 at the moment, and the accuracy is excellent. The velocity has dropped off 200 fps with the re 22, but the groups have tightened up considerably. My buddy is exclusively 7828 with his bee. Hot loads are the norm, as I found that cutting back opens up grouping considerably.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 120 bullets and use 4064 Powder with grate results.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Update - I sighted in my new .257 Roy with factory Weatherby ammo loaded with 100 gr Hornadys. Right out of the box it is shooting sub .75 groups with the factory stuff. I am really pleased and can't wait to start working up some handloads.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Spike

Default re:

i've been shooting a 257 weatherby for years now! a load that has incredible groups involves combined tech ballistic silver tips. my brother in law reloads for me so not sure on the exact load at this time. i down graded however because the bullets were too damaging, to a regular hollow point, which took some accuracy but wouldnt blow a small deer in half.... my rifle is a vangard btw.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use Norma MRP, and set your COL the size of the magazine, but check the size of your chamber first. Good luck.

Quick Reply: .257 Weatherby Magnum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.