Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Are things beginning to loosen up? >

Are things beginning to loosen up?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Are things beginning to loosen up?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are things beginning to loosen up?

ORIGINAL: Howler

We have a small local reloading shop that I have been doing business with for a long time. He has not tried to gouge any of his regular customers. However he has raised hisprices onpeople coming in who are just trying to clean himout. And he limits what he sells them so he can keep his good customers.

You guys should remember the guys who are gouging you now, and never do business with them again. And tell them that, and tell themin a loud voice. I say to HE** with the gougers. Tom.
In other words, if I went into YOUR local store as a first time patron, I would get gouged? SO why is YOUR local store any better than the next one? Isn't gouging gouging no matter who's getting gouged?
Hold your horses there pard and calm down. I think he is talking about hoarders who go out looking to clean the selfs of ammo. And they are out there...

I too live in a small county and the local store will notgouge anyone, but will limit the amount of ammo he will sell. Many people have come in an have asked to buy all his ammo. I mean all of it!!! He refuses and will only sell two boxes of any one kind of ammo at a time. He says he is there for his regular customers and will not hurt them just to make a quick buck. I consider him a good man and friend!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is one major flaw in your theory. This guy has been in business for over 30 years. And a few years ago his son took over the business, and he is being trained properly.

And the Walmart guys WILL NOT become regular customers, they will go back to Walmart to save their next dime.

Remember I said he is a SMALL dealer. And that is the way he likes it. And he likes to take care of his regulars. What part of that don't you understand?? So you think it would be smarter for him to sell all his product to a new customer, and forego his old customers?? I do not understand your theory. Tom.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

There is one major flaw in your theory. This guy has been in business for over 30 years. And a few years ago his son took over the business, and he is being trained properly.

And the Walmart guys WILL NOT become regular customers, they will go back to Walmart to save their next dime.

Remember I said he is a SMALL dealer. And that is the way he likes it. And he likes to take care of his regulars. What part of that don't you understand?? So you think it would be smarter for him to sell all his product to a new customer, and forego his old customers?? I do not understand your theory. Tom.
How do you get new regulars when you treat every new customer like crap? And it's a good thing he likes to be small, because with that attitude he'll certainly stay that way... but I doubt for too much longer. His current regulars won't live forever. Just because he's been around for 30 years doesn't mean that he'll last another 30, and the shooting sports community won't miss him when he's gone.

And what makes you so sure that someone who shops at walmart can't be drawn away by small business? It's called competition for a reason, because it implys that both parties will actually make an EFFORT to attract and retain customers. Walmart offers lower prices but crappy service. The SBO competes by offering what Walmart can't, top-notch service and a knowledgeable staff that's willing to go beyond what the two-toothed idiot at the Walmart gun counter will do. As it is, when he fails (and I guarantee it's coming if he remains lazy and hostile toward new business), he has no one to blame but himself. Then you'll be a Walmart shopper, too.

Mike
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the things you say do make good sense. I can not argue with that. However this guy likes being small so who am I to question him?? He keeps his overhead very low. And he always has a cold Pepsi for me when I walk in the door. So I can not complain.

And remember I did say. Small Town. So everybody knows everybody here. It truly is different in a small town. I have not heard of the town that you list as your home base, so I do not know if it is a small town or not. However I am pretty sure no one has heard of mine either.Tom.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

And who said he had to forego one to sell to another? He sells to both, and provides both the same level of service so BOTH are happy and come back again. That's good business. Refusing to sell an item you have in stock to a new customer just because a regular MIGHT want to buy it sometime in the future is stupid. Gouging the new customer so that he either won't buy it, or will leave with a negative opinion when he realizes that he's been screwed is worse yet. I think it's nothing short of a miracle he's lasted as long as he has if he's really as bad as you say he is (which I actually doubt).

If I ever went into business, I'd consider a guy like this as a competitor a blessing from God, because I guarantee that I'd take all the customers he turned away, and maybe a few of his regulars, too. And I'd be very happy when me and Walmart put him out of business.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coralville is a suburb of Iowa City. The population of Coralville is about 14,000. Iowa City is about 65-70K steady residents, with about 15K transient residents (students) due to the University of Iowa.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I frequent that area quite a bit in the fall and theres one gun shop in particular that was run by a complete ***hole in NMartinsville several years back. Its out of business now.. not really much of a surprise there. Putting up with people like him make those of us who dont have a good regular shop more than happy to mail order, internet order, and Wal Mart most of our supplies.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now the hoarders are racing around looking for the new sources. We'll be lucky to get out of this craziness by the end of hunting season.

Why have 200 cartridges for every caliber, when you can stock a half a ton of components for all your cartridges?

Ten years from now, some widow will say to a friend, "What did he buy all this stuff for?"
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a local shop today, the guy behind the counter said things look like they are starting to loosen up. Time will tell???
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Valentine

Now the hoarders are racing around looking for the new sources. We'll be lucky to get out of this craziness by the end of hunting season.

Why have 200 cartridges for every caliber, when you can stock a half a ton of components for all your cartridges?

Ten years from now, some widow will say to a friend, "What did he buy all this stuff for?"

You can thank your new President for all the panic. Flat plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Are things beginning to loosen up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.