Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Neck resizing only? >

Neck resizing only?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Neck resizing only?

Old 04-20-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Neck resizing only?

Most of the die' s I see out there are for full resizing. If I want to get the most from my brass and am loading only for myself - same gun, what' s the best way to, 1 - get the primer out? Do they make a primer die or a neck resizer only? What' s the best way?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:43 PM

Default RE: Neck resizing only?

Most of the manufacturers offer neck-sizing dies. I own neck-sizing Lee dies. They include the primer remover (built in).
Old 04-21-2003, 12:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are neck only dies or you can simply adjust your full length die to neck size only. Unscrew your full length die a few turns and run your case into the die, you will get a shoulder on the neck and then just adjust it down using the same case until you get it right. it will take some trial and error until you get it just right. The primer should still fall out since there is only a few thousandths inch between the two sizing methods.

Here is a link to the same question asked just a couple of weeks ago.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...ode=&s=#276694
Old 04-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

For neck sizing only, I prefer the Lee collet neck die. It' s a rather inexpensive die, but don' t worry, it does a great job. It has three advantages. First, it makes really concentric ammo. Second, you don' t have to lube your cases when using this die. Third, it works your cases less than conventional dies, so your cases should have a longer life. I' ve used the more expensive neck dies like the Redding S dies and Forster, but the Lee collet neck die just does a better job for me. Otherwise, however, I don' t like Lee products.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

DG, I think purists will insist that resizing with a FL die to less than a full plunge is PARTIAL full length sizing. That is what I usually do for no better reason than it was described in a book I read and seems like a good compromise.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54 PM

BTRACK,

Because of the procedure I follow in loading, The RCBS universal decapping die is the only way to knock out primers. This gives me the chance to clean primer pockets. It also offers an opportunity to examine cases for problems. Once the pockets are clean, they go into the tumbler.

Neck sizing with a full length sizing die, can be done, but IMHO it is only haphazard. Screwing the die up also results in a shorter portion of the neck being resized. I like to leave the 1/16" of the neck in front of the shoulder unsized to act as a collar to better align the bullet to the bore. The rest of the neck I want sized. With cases that have vert short necks, such as the .300 Win Mag, I try to size the neck right to the shoulder. The neck sizing die is the best to accomplish this. Good luck.[&:]
Old 07-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]