Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 whats happening ( 22 hornet ) >

whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats happening ( 22 hornet )

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

figures, LOL
Hey is one better than the other. nickel vs brass.
Wasn't aware you could get nickel plated brass for the Hornet....Anyhow, my advice to you would be to stay away from it. It has the potential to flake off the case and cause problems in both your chamber and your dies. I'd stick with the brasscases, if I were you......
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya I found some on some web site, rem nickel
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok shot my first handloads yesterday, on average they shot better than factory loads but still having flyers. I can get 3 shot grouping under an inch but not five. Five will do about 1 1/2 to 2" .sometimes Iget one that shoots high or low by 3 inches, not side to side, always up or down, any ideas.
I also had 3 stuck in the chamber out of 42. No signs of pressure in the brass or the primers.
The first time I loaded I fl resized and last night I loaded them back up again but only neck sized. But one thing I noticed loading both ways is 13 gr of powder almost fills the case but when sitting there the powder in the case looks lower or higher, I would empty re weigh my powder and refill and they still looked different, I checked and checked and rechecked, some cases look fuller than others ? No difference in case measurement.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

sometimes Iget one that shoots high or low by 3 inches, not side to side, always up or down, any ideas.
Probably due tovarience inpowder weight. 13 grains of powder is a lot for a Hornet case. Whose powder are you using?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

hodgdon Lil gun
Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

sometimes Iget one that shoots high or low by 3 inches, not side to side, always up or down, any ideas.
Probably due tovarience inpowder weight. 13 grains of powder is a lot for a Hornet case. Whose powder are you using?

Are the cases all the same manufacturer? Different brands can have different volumes, and in a small case like the Hornet, it's more noticeable.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: falcon

Are the cases all the same manufacturer? Different brands can have different volumes, and in a small case like the Hornet, it's more noticeable.

ahh grasshoppa. Ya these are winchester and rem brass..
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK. It's important in reloading to use all the same brand cases when working up a load. Total uniformity is a big key with it.....everything the same all the time.....cases, bullet producer and weight, primer, powder manufacturer, etc.... You can change a component anytime you wish, but there is a good chance it's going to change the charactaristics of the load. You gotta stay uniform thru the development stage. Hang in there, zrex... ....
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next question.
The gun I have is an NEF with a 1-12 twist, should that be able to stabalize a 50 or 55 gr bullet ?
I know most people say to stay smaller with the hornet but that was with 1-14 or 1-16 twist.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM

switch powders iv had the same problem. go to h 110

Quick Reply: whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.