Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 whats happening ( 22 hornet ) >

whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats happening ( 22 hornet )

falcon you say the chambers are sloppy and not to FL resize but my spent brass is shorter and smaller than specs, after resizing it came right back to specs not even needing to length trim.
these were shot out of my NEF.
When i reload .22 Hornet cartridges for the gun that they are fired in i size just enough of the neck to hold the bullet securely. Not to worry about fired case dimensions vs resized case dimensions-it matters not.

A friend who used to work at the H & R factory said that they reground their reamers. Some .22 Hornet NEF guns have huge chambers, some do not.Ditto for .223. The chamberof my .223 NEF was out of round by .008 but it still shot very well.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

falcon...that out-of-round .223 chamber..did you have to FL the cases, or orient by headstamp ? Just wondering,and also curious about bullet run-out..
Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wondering,and also curious about bullet run-out..
It was astrange thing. Cases looked very funny, visibly swollen on one side. The backhalf of thecase was out of roundbutthe frontsection of the case body and neck were OK.Had to turn the cases as they were loaded into the gun. Cannot figure out how they managed to bugger up that chamber. Never did a runout test.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try 11.8 gr of AA1680 over an cci BR4 primer neck sized ONLY and nosler 40 gr ballistic tip for MY pet load.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

quick question, I just got some stuff in. My Lee primer doesnt accept my RCBS shell holder, do I need the lee brand shell holders ?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

quick question, I just got some stuff in. My Lee primer doesnt accept my RCBS shell holder, do I need the lee brand shell holders ?

The Lee Auto-Prime does not use the type of shell holder that you put in your press. The Auto Primer shell holders are about 1/2 as thick. So yes you do need the Lee Auto Prime Shell holder. Tom.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

figures, LOL
Hey is one better than the other. nickel vs brass.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

another question.
I got a few stuff in today one was a rcbs pro trimmer with 4 shell plates and a bunch of pilots, no instructions. I got it figured out but my problem is the hornet seems to have too thick of a rim to slide behind the shell holder. a .243 works but the rim on the hornet is thicker. what do I do ?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Forgot that .22 Hornet has a thick rim and some trimmers will not do it. My trimmer is a Lyman and it will take the Hornet case. Unless you are going to do a lot of cases at once the Lee trimmer works well. It can beturned by hand or with a drill. I find that hand turning works well on the Hornet and its thin case. You will need a case neck chamfering tool.

Good luck loading for the Hornet. BTW: i use 45 grain bullets exclusively in the .22 Hornet and it works out well that way.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/casecon.html

The chamfering tool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/742818

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/casecon.html
Old 02-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're using too much lube when sizing the cases........

Quick Reply: whats happening ( 22 hornet )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.